my big day to wear lipstick

"Wear a suit and lipstick," adviced my supervisor for my first meeting with the president of my organization. Think Meryl Streep in the 'Devil Wears Prada.'

My "game plan" for working here has always been to fly low beneath the radar. It's not working anymore. In the last several months, there has been just enough staff turnover to make me a more senior member of my department. The last straw was my supervisor resigning - her last day is Feb. 29.

So now I can expect to be called into more meetings with people who intimidate me to no end. I have heard one too many horror stories, which I'm hoping have been greatly exagerated.

My meeting this morning went fine, although I couldn't find my favorite lipstick. I was to meet my bosses boss a little before to walk over together, as he was also attending the meeting. I don't think he has ever seen me in a suit, because he did a double-take and said "You look like you work at a bank," hmm.... Not sure how to take that one. Luckily, my friend Shannon was quick to reassure me I looked fine and that he just has a weird way of saying things. Even though I know that, it still throws me off sometimes.

Work has been crazy, and I can now expect it to continue on at full force. And don't worry, I probably won't bore you with any more stories on my blog as I hate to talk about work anymore than I have to now.

Comments

Jessica Marie said…
I love that movie! I hope your days at work become brighter and fun. Take care! :) Oh...and you deserve a promotion! :)
Diana said…
You're awesome! I love that your boss, or whoever, actually told you to wear lipstick and a suit. . .that's awesome and totally puts on the pressure.
Lisa Brown said…
I bet you looked gorgeous! You have nothing to worry about - you are goreous, bright, articulate, and fun - just remember that when any of the crazy people in your meetings try to make you feel otherwise. And don't worry, someday you will be free :).

PS. What is you favorite lipstick? I am still searching for one I like, and I am about to turn 30? Do you think I will ever succeed :)?
Michelle Claire said…
I once had a guy in High school compliment my lipstick and told me I should wear it more often... the only thing was, was that I actually wore it every day... Obviously he wasn't too observant. Anyway, I think I should get back into that habit... although I'm turing into a lip gloss girl instead of actual lipstick. Does that make me teenager-ish?? Oh well. :)

Most Read