Louis L'Amour book review
Louis L'Amour books have been around for a while, but this is the first time I've read any of them. I've seen a lot of them - my grandpa has bookshelves full of them - but I've never been inspired to pick one up.I've mentioned this before, but moving to the South has made me long for all things "West." I've enjoyed a few Zane Grey books and then got to wondering how I would like Louis. My mom gave me a few she had read - all following the Sackett family line.
I started "The Sackett Brand" flying home from Seattle to Savannah and had finished by the time the plane landed. "Sackett's Land" was another quick read. Both books transplant me to an earlier time in America. I particularly liked "Sackett's Lands" perspective on a poor, land-owning man in Britain and how the class system affected his decision to move on. It is the first in the "Sackett" series and I think "The Sacket Brand" is in the middle. The later is the story of the first Sackett's decsendant who is moving out to Arizona.

Both books are fast paced and packed with action. The strong, tough male characters are just how I visualize the men who took on America's wild, wild West. While I like Zane Grey's romance, I appreciate how these stories focus more on the struggle in new territory. And to me, that is what these books are about - beating the odds in a new land. A land that I love and admire - Louis and I have that in common.

Comments