Two winners

Somehow I found two winning recipes in one week.

Seems like I try new recipes and rarely make them a success - either my fault or theirs. But this last week I tried two new things. They were both so good that Scott told me, and I quote:

"I think you found two new recipes to add to our family favorites." or something like that.

And then I think he mentioned something about this is when people always says their mom/wife is the best cook. It was really nice.

My secret has been watching the Food Network during Soren's afternoon feedings. Specifically, Paula Deen, Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals, the Italian woman, or Barefoot Contessa.



Winner #1 - Pizza with Fresh Tomatoes and Basil (and Olives for Scott)

Just make it - its awesome. Both Scott and I felt like we were eating in Italy again - at home in Idaho. I can't vouch for the crust, since I made my own. I like to make extra crust and freeze it for later. Which worked out great, since we wanted pizza again last night. This recipe is super simple and fast when you have the crusts made ahead of time.

Winner #2 - Savory Chicken Pie


This was my first time roasting a chicken. Isn't it beautiful? Okay, maybe it grosses a few people out, but I'm so proud. After roasting the chicken, I pulled the meat off for my chicken pie. It was amazingly delicious. I tried to make pie pockets instead of one big pie. It worked okay, but was too much crust. Tastes better as a whole pie.

And I can't vouch for this crust either, as I used my Grandma Cleavers pie crust recipe.


Soren update for Nicole:
Soren is a little fussy lately. But I think its because he's learned that I respond pretty quickly to his little cry. So we are working through that. He is bouncing on my lap, listening to a little Johnny Cash with me. We are about to go try more rice cereal and then go for a walk.

Comments

Diana said…
I love new recipes, I think I will try to the pizza for sure, that sounds so good! And awesome job on roasting a chicken, I don't know if I am brave enough to conquer that one yet!
Jana said…
They both look good. Your chicken looks great. Good Job!! I love finding new recipes that work.
Natalie said…
Looks yummy, tomato and basil pizza is my absolute favorite. And your crust looks perfect, as does your roast chicken. You should be very proud!
Paul and Susan said…
That's great that you've found some recipes that you BOTH like (those husbands can be pretty picky). You inspire me to try some new recipes to liven up the "same old dinner list". I probably should also watch some cooking shows to try and get me excited to cook again.
Lisa Brown said…
Iused to watch a lot of Food NEtwork when Derek was a baby :). It is amazing how much you learn and how many ideas you can get. Those ideas sound great!! (Oh, and if you want a smaller pie, you can do what I do when I make chicken pot pie - I put it in some of my smaller pyrex dished (bread pan size, 9x9, etc) and then cook one and freeze 2 for another time. It is a great way to take a labor intensive recipe and stretch it out :).

Most Read