Three Months



Happy Three Months, Soren!
Ha ha! I love this picture! It started being spring, so we tried a lighter jacket instead of the big polar bear suit for our walks. It worked great - until it stopped being spring. Yesterday was a mini blizzard with snow blowing sideways for hours. The sun is out this morning - but I don't trust it. But now about cutie Soren...

About sleep...
I don't want to jinx myself, but Soren has slept through the night since last Tuesday. Oddly, it correlates with his vaccinations so I'm not sure it is a permanent thing. However, I am enjoying it. He takes several naps during the day, usually the longest is after 3 p.m. Then 8 p.m. is always my goal bed time, but it is usually more like 9 or 10 p.m. We just got him a mobile that has lights and plays classical music. That has helped ease some of the crying. We still swaddle him, though half the time his arms get out. And we still have the top of his mattress elevated at an angle. Soren usually works his way to sleeping sideways in the crib, with his head against the crib, looking up at the toys on the rail. He likes to talk to them when he wakes up.

About eating...
Soren will vary between 4 and 6 oz every 3-4 hours. He is able to do 4 hours more often than before and usually needs 6 oz. When he eats, he usually holds my fingers with one hand and the bottle with the other.Because he is such a big boy - top of his class, as the Doctor says - the Doctor has recommended we start him on a little rice cereal to help him feel full.

About playing...
Soren can hold his head study and lift it up more often. He doesn't like to practice that on his belly, but he will practice it when laying on my chest. He can sit on his own for a couple seconds, which I think is pretty cool. Both his doctor and nurse are impressed with his strength.

Soren can also hit and kick toys dangling in front of him. He will hold an object for a few seconds if you put it in his grasp. He loves to look at the world from my shoulder. He loves his binky. He likes to sit on my lap and look around, but his favorite is to look at whoever is holding him. He has the biggest smiles and uses them frequently. He loves to coo and play on his changing table. He is just learning how fun it is to splash in the bath. His talk gets a little belligerent when he begins wearing down.

Soren is just starting to get Peek-a-boo and loves Patty-cake. He likes to follow my hands for Itsy Bitsy Spider. He pays more attention to the pictures in books when I read to him. He smiles really big when you blow in his face or blow raspberries on his tummy. And my favorite is that he will smile when I kiss his cheeks.

About awake time...
When he is awake and not playing, Soren will watch me work around the house from his bouncy seat or his swing. He seems to prefer the seat. And he is just starting to be aware of when I leave the room. The bonus being he is aware when I come in - sometimes greeting me with big grins. He also loves to watch Scott when he walks around the apartment. Its funny, because both him and Leo do it at the same time. Okay, I do to! Scott has some pretty big fans around here.

About mom and dad...
Scott and I are the new Sunday School teachers for the 15 and 17 year-olds . Shocking - I know. In our church any member can be a teacher. The local leaders pray about who they think will be a good fit and then ask someone in the congregation. In Savannah we taught the 8-12 year-olds. I miss those kids, but they were quite challenging.

Yesterday was our first day with our new class. Despite one leaky bottle halfway through the lesson, all went well. Those kids are sharp! True, they stare at you with tired eyes and deadpan faces, but if you ask them a question and wait long enough for your silence to get to them - they are brilliant! The teenage attitude doesn't bother me, because I just think about how awful I was to my Sunday School teachers at that age. Those teachers would laugh at me now.

Comments

Restless Mama said…
What a big, beautiful boy! Yay for 3 months Soren! Congratulations on the new adventure of solid foods...it shall be fun. Goodness, how time flies my friend. Lots of hugs m'dear!
chereden said…
Hey Melissa, I've been following your blog in google reader. Soren looks just like you in this photo. Hope spring comes back for you soon!

~Cheryl
Paul and Susan said…
Thanks for sharing the latest on Soren. It helps me feel in touch with all the little changes he makes. I hope the sleeping at night will continue for you--that would be great.
Salina said…
Wow, 3 months huh? He's so big, and eating cereal too! WOW! I hope he continues sleeping through the night for you...there's nothing worse than a tired mommy!
Bree said…
Hahaha!!! I LOVE that top picture too!! What a CUTIE!!!! Glad things are going so well with him...and hopefully the sleeping well sticks! :)
I love hearing how Soren is doing! I hope I get better so I can come over and see him!
Lisa Brown said…
You guys will be awesome with those teenagers! And hey, if you could handle the Valiant class you had as awesomely as you did, you can do anything :).
Jamie Anderson said…
He is so cute! I am so glad we finally got to meet him!

Most Read