Finding balance

Colleen's cherry tree in Savannah from last spring.
I can just picture Nathan jr. swinging in his swing from one of its branches this spring.


I love cherry trees! This picture has nothing to do with my post, other than I can't wait for it to be spring. The wind is blowing 30-40 mph and snow is melting like crazy, so I suppose spring is blowing into this cold, corner of the world.

Everyday, I struggle to find the balance with my life. Pre-Soren, my days were predictable.
6:30 a.m. - Alarm/breakfast/shower and dress/ walk Leo
8:30 a.m. - Walk to work
1 p.m. - Walk home for lunch and play with Leo / watch Arrested Development with Scott
5:30 p.m. - Skip home from work (I didn't really skip, but I always wanted too)
5:45 p.m. - Make and Eat Dinner
7 p.m. - Walk Leo down my favorite streets and through the park
8 p.m. - Hang out with Scott
11 p.m. - Go to bed.

It was such an easy schedule and allowed me to fit in personal time, relationship time, spiritual time, etc. But now things are a little different. I can't even write out my exact schedule. I just tried and it stressed me out to put it in exact times. Basically - we eat, play and sleep. When it happens varies depending on Soren's mood and growth spurts. Soren is my most important care, but when he sleeps I get to choose from:
  • House work (dishes, laundry, cleaning, meal planning, budgeting, etc..),
  • Leo entertainment (throwing something from one side of the house to another or packing us up for a walk with baby in tow).
  • Computer time (Keeping up with email, facebook, blogging, personal research, news, etc)
  • Entertainment (Reading, tv, crafting)
  • Sleeping (In my bed, on the futon, with or without Soren near me)
  • Projects (Researching how to market Scott's photography, and other miscellaneous things)
  • Spiritual time (REading scriptures, the Ensign, writing in my journal and Soren's little calendar)
Of course, it is more fun to do the entertainment. But then I feel like I'm neglectful. But you can't work all the time - I just had a baby and still need to relax. The funny thing is, because I lack the structure of 8:30-5:30, I'm confused. I don't want to have a schedule every day, but I do want to make sure my life is balanced. I know what I need to do - it's just finding when to fit it in best.

Comments

Diana said…
I TOTALLY feel the same way. I was trying to tell my sister what times I usually feed Ella/wake up/get stuff done and I couldn't. Every day is so different and it's driving me crazy. I need schedules!!!
Restless Mama said…
I'm with you on this as well. Ever since we moved to Hawai'i I've felt a little lost because I no longer have a schedule since I don't work anymore. When we were in Boston we woke up at 4:30, hung out or he would watch Baby Einstein while I got ready and then at 6:50 my sister or neighbor would get him and then I'd walk to the train station. Work and get home at 6:30. Make/eat dinner. Hang out with Aidan and then fall asleep. Now, I don't have work and so I'm struggling to find the motivation to create a schedule.
Good luck my friend.
xoxoxo
Melissa said…
I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I'm sure we'll all figure it out sometime. You gals are the best!
The Clifts said…
Mel- When Soren gets a little older, he will have more of a sleep schedule and you'll be able to plan things a little easier. I know exactly how you feel. Not that you asked for suggestions, but here is something I just recently started doing, and it has really helped. I tell myself the night before that there are a few things I HAVE to get done the next day, and everything else I get done is a bonus. For Example: Today I have to do all the dishes, make my bed, exercise and take a shower. I know that sounds trivial, but after doing these things, I feel productive and it lifts my spirits. And when they are done I can't feel guilty, because I finished what I planned. It'll take a long time to get used to the fact that you can't do everything. Although, knowing you, you probably could! You are amazing.
J-R said…
Amen Sista
Sarah Jane said…
Oh my. Honey, I am nearing baby #3 and I am still trying to get it:) The fact is, it will never be predictable. The days that I can accept that and I actually get some "me" time and "housework" time in, I am happy. The days I try and SET everything the way I want, NOTHING ever gets done, and no one is happy. Very strange, isn't it? Keeping it simple is key. I try and make a list of 3 MUSTS that have to get done. there is always the BIG list, but if I focus on just THREE, they will almost always get done. If I get more, great. if I don't, I try again the next day:) hang in there!

Most Read