Poulsbo trip: Part three


Monday was my grandma's funeral. I'm sad I don't have more pictures on my camera, but I know I can get my dad's later. So for now, you are stuck with what I do have. I've seen some great pictures on Shannon and Ann's blogs.

After the viewing, we had a graveside dedicatory prayer in the cemetery. It happens to be the same cemetery where my Cleaver grandparent's are buried, which I think is special. After the prayer, each member of the family layed a red rose on the casket. Then we gathered for a bunch of family pictures (again, check out Shannon and Ann's blogs for those).


Before the memorial service, we had several minutes to enjoy the special display my mom and her sisters created on Grandma's life. It was so special to see her wedding dress and above is her wedding cake top. On Saturday, my aunts let me "try on" the wedding dress - or as close as I could. They draped it over me and placed the veil on my head. Once again, pictures I don't have but will hopefully get soon.
There were other mementos from her life on display - like the actual belt I've only ever seen in the above picture. It has song names from the WW2 era all over and its definitely a belt I could see coming back in style. There were also a few pieces from her childhood tea set along with crafts and baby quilts she had made.
There was even this apron the grandkids made for her at a family reunion years ago. i was 13 - but my hand is still the same size! Oh - and next to my hand is my cousin Rachel's hand, who I mentioned earlier because we both have the same due date.
And of course, we had her harp there. It wouldn't be a memorial service for my grandma without it. The whole service was uplifting and comforting. My uncle Jon shared a great life sketch, including lots of little stories I had never heard. Then the grandkids sang "Families are Forever." I think we sounded pretty good - and didn't do too much crying. Wish I could have sang, but at the same time watched from the audience.

After we sang, each of the siblings shared memories of their mother. Once again, I enjoyed hearing stories I'd never heard before. It was also inspiring to be reminded of her strength and faith. The men in the family followed, singing "Come thou fount," which is the hymn her grandfather sang to her every night before falling asleep after her father died when she was 3 years old. I'm glad that so many beautiful memories are still preserved in our family. That evening, the women in the family went through Grandma's scarves and jewlery. It was fun to see which pieces we remembered her wearing and when. I also enjoyed seeing what meant the most to each person - not in monetary value, but sentimental.

The next morning I left for Savannah. Ann gave me a ride to meet Tyler, who drove us both to the airport. It was great to catch up a little with both of them.
My flights went well, but dragged on. From Seattle to Atlanta I was seated between two large, broad-shouldered people. One who talked my ear off! And then during the final leg, from Atlanta to Savannah, I sat next to a woman who got sick during the landing. Yuck! So glad my morning sickness is over or I might have joined her.

And now I am back in Savannah for one final month. This morning, I gave notice to my supervisor that my last day will be Oct. 24. Then I'm headed home again until after the baby is born, when Scott and I will settle into a new home in Idaho. We are crazy, I know.

Comments

Ann said…
Yay! I love the picture of us! It was so good to visit with you and all the fam.
Paul and Susan said…
Thanks for documenting everything so well with pictures and words. I will have to print it out and save it for myself. Thanks for all your help!

Most Read