Louise Fuqua Wright
My Grandma Wright passed away yesterday after several long years dealing with dementia and other health problems. It has been hard to watch her struggle and slip away, just as it is now hard to know she is gone. Yet I am so happy for her to be at peace.
When I think of my Grandma leaving this earth, I think of a joyful meeting with her parents and siblings. Her father died when she was three-years-old and how wonderful it must be to hug him again. She also had a favorite sister killed in a car accident that I am sure she is overjoyed to see.
For those who don't know, I have lost three of my grandparents in the last six months. I am close with all my grandparents and spent many hours in their company. If it weren't for my knowledge that there is life after this existence and that families can be sealed forever, I would be having a very hard time right now. It makes all the difference knowing I will see them again, and not being left wondering what happens next. I usually don't use my blog as a tool to share my religious beliefs, but I feel very strongly about this. The one thing I would love to share with all my friends of all faiths is the knowledge that we truly are children of a loving Heavenly Father and Mother. Their is a plan for our lives and we will be with them and our loved ones again.
My Grandma is one reason why I have such strong faith. She joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints as a young mom raising young children. My Grandpa supported her decision, but wasn't baptized until seven years later. They taught their children to be honest, good people of integrity. My mom is the youngest of her six children and we have always lived within a 20 minute drive.
I learned a lot at my Grandma's house - probably more than I know. Here are some of those little lessons:
Family Traditions
My grandparents had traditions that just taught us how to have fun together as a family. There was homemade popcorn and apple slices on Sunday evenings, lunch was homemade bread and jam. For Thanksgiving, everyone had to share as many blessing as they had corn kernels on their plate. Christmas mornings brought cinnamon rolls in the shape of a Christmas tree with oranges. Every Sunday we dressed up in our best to worship at church.
Love for Music
My grandma always encouraged us to play the piano. She would listen to me mess up for hours and never complain, always complimenting what I attempted to play. She loved us to play and sing around the piano. In her 60s (I think) she picked up playing the harp and always took the time to teach us grandkids notes on the strings. I still remember how to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." She loved hymns and always came to listen to us sing in Choir performances.
Developing talents take practice
She had the most beautiful handwriting and calligraphy. Once she bought me a little calligraphy set when I complimented her writing. I quickly became frustrated at my ugly letters, but she told me a story that changed the way I think about any new skill I want to learn. She told me she was born lefthanded, but you weren't allowed to write with your left hand at school in those days. She was forced to use her right hand and punished for switching over to her left. I could only imagine how hard and frustrating that would be. But she taught her self how to write with her right hand, and to do so beautifully.
Confidence
There was no criticism. We could draw, paint, cook, play music, read, play outside, etc... With everything we did, she was supportive and enthusasitic. She believed we would be the best at it, so we had fun and tried harder.
Love
Through many sweet cards and notes, attending every major event in my life, hugs and kisses, patience and kind words, I have learned how to be love and seen a great example of how to give love in return.
Lots, but not all, of my Grandma's girls attending the Nutcracker in Seattle. Left - My mom, Nicole, me, Debbie, Darlene and Grandma.
Obviously, I love my Grandma. I sure will miss her and I think it will be hard to go home and not have her around. But I have more blessings than I can count because she was mine. If only I can someday be a woman like both of my lovely Grandma's, then I'd be doing pretty good.
PS - If you are part of the Wright clan, you might remember the books we put together for Grandpa and Grandma a couple Christmases ago. You can still buy a copy for yourself at Blurb.com Here is the direct link.
When I think of my Grandma leaving this earth, I think of a joyful meeting with her parents and siblings. Her father died when she was three-years-old and how wonderful it must be to hug him again. She also had a favorite sister killed in a car accident that I am sure she is overjoyed to see.
For those who don't know, I have lost three of my grandparents in the last six months. I am close with all my grandparents and spent many hours in their company. If it weren't for my knowledge that there is life after this existence and that families can be sealed forever, I would be having a very hard time right now. It makes all the difference knowing I will see them again, and not being left wondering what happens next. I usually don't use my blog as a tool to share my religious beliefs, but I feel very strongly about this. The one thing I would love to share with all my friends of all faiths is the knowledge that we truly are children of a loving Heavenly Father and Mother. Their is a plan for our lives and we will be with them and our loved ones again.
My Grandma is one reason why I have such strong faith. She joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints as a young mom raising young children. My Grandpa supported her decision, but wasn't baptized until seven years later. They taught their children to be honest, good people of integrity. My mom is the youngest of her six children and we have always lived within a 20 minute drive.
I learned a lot at my Grandma's house - probably more than I know. Here are some of those little lessons:
Family Traditions
My grandparents had traditions that just taught us how to have fun together as a family. There was homemade popcorn and apple slices on Sunday evenings, lunch was homemade bread and jam. For Thanksgiving, everyone had to share as many blessing as they had corn kernels on their plate. Christmas mornings brought cinnamon rolls in the shape of a Christmas tree with oranges. Every Sunday we dressed up in our best to worship at church.
Love for Music
My grandma always encouraged us to play the piano. She would listen to me mess up for hours and never complain, always complimenting what I attempted to play. She loved us to play and sing around the piano. In her 60s (I think) she picked up playing the harp and always took the time to teach us grandkids notes on the strings. I still remember how to play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." She loved hymns and always came to listen to us sing in Choir performances.
Developing talents take practice
She had the most beautiful handwriting and calligraphy. Once she bought me a little calligraphy set when I complimented her writing. I quickly became frustrated at my ugly letters, but she told me a story that changed the way I think about any new skill I want to learn. She told me she was born lefthanded, but you weren't allowed to write with your left hand at school in those days. She was forced to use her right hand and punished for switching over to her left. I could only imagine how hard and frustrating that would be. But she taught her self how to write with her right hand, and to do so beautifully.
Confidence
There was no criticism. We could draw, paint, cook, play music, read, play outside, etc... With everything we did, she was supportive and enthusasitic. She believed we would be the best at it, so we had fun and tried harder.
Love
Through many sweet cards and notes, attending every major event in my life, hugs and kisses, patience and kind words, I have learned how to be love and seen a great example of how to give love in return.
Lots, but not all, of my Grandma's girls attending the Nutcracker in Seattle. Left - My mom, Nicole, me, Debbie, Darlene and Grandma.Obviously, I love my Grandma. I sure will miss her and I think it will be hard to go home and not have her around. But I have more blessings than I can count because she was mine. If only I can someday be a woman like both of my lovely Grandma's, then I'd be doing pretty good.
PS - If you are part of the Wright clan, you might remember the books we put together for Grandpa and Grandma a couple Christmases ago. You can still buy a copy for yourself at Blurb.com Here is the direct link.




Comments
You have composed such a beautiful tribute to your Grandma. You express so well with words how I feel. Thank you for cheering up my heart. I am sure blessed to have an amazing daughter like you.
Love,
Mom
My grammy passed away last year - the last of the grandparents...well the only grandparent I knew really so I feel you on this. It is comforting to know that she is in peace and cooking somebody greasy fried chicken up there.
Anyway, I'm very happy to read about your strong family unit - they've definitely contributed to the amazingness you posess.
Lots of hugs-