Strolls through Bonaventure, Colonial Cemeteries

Finally, Scott and I explored Bonaventure Cemetery, a beautiful old cemetery on the river. There were so many different family plots, complete with statues, gates, etc.. For example, Johnny Mercer has a marble bench with the titles of his hits on his family plot. And there was an adorable statue of a 10 year old girl who had died from pneumonia surrounded by flowers and a fence on another. We picked our favorites and joked about what our own family plot will look like someday.
Afterwards, Scott went to the photo lab and has been there since. At dusk, Leo and I took ourselves for another walk. Savannah is a beauty at night and with so many tourists out I felt safe walking without Scott. My feet took me the usual route, once I was on Abercorn St. I'm drawn to another graveyard - Colonial Cemetery. This one is even older and is the final resting place for one of the signers of the declaration of independence.
Normally, I walk there during the day. At night, it is spellbinding. Leo and I walked to the middle. I stood on an old Live Oak stump and gazed 360 degrees around me, while Leo scavenged for nuts on the ground. I could see the green-blue spires of the cathedral pointing heavenward a block away, the canopies of multiple live oaks, elaborate Victorian homes and colonial town houses lining the street. And closes to me were the crumbling headstones from some of the cities first settlers. The air could have sparked with energy - I half expected to see an old soul, or hear murmuring voices. Then I felt Like I was 12-years-old again and reading a ghost story. Nothing happened, but it was an invigorating walk that reminded me how much I've grown to like Savannah. It feels like a home away from home. Forgive me for being sentimental, but I"m sad it won't be mine much longer.
Now I need to go out one evening with Scott and capture some of my favorite night-time views.


Comments