Jekyll Island

Yesterday, Scott and I drove down the Georgia Coast to explore Jeykyll Island. It's a little over an hour from Savannah - so far enough to get away, but not far enough to get sick of the car.

A typical road trip is not complete with out:
1. Wheat Thins
2. At least one meal at Cracker Barrel
3. At least one fast food ice cream cone or blizzard
4. lots of pictures
5. Scott's ipod

Speaking of pictures, we had fun using our film cameras and forgot to use the digital except on this amazing old home. It was built by the first European settler on Jekyll Island in the mid 1700s.



There was no roof or any floor, just lots of sea shells - which is also what the building was made out of.
And across the street was a trail that lead to the old family cemetery! It was so neat! Except for the one tomb below, that creeped both of us out. I expected to see a skeleton arm poke out of the crack at any second.

What I wish I had pictures of is Scott and I peddling on a two-person carriage bike. The island has 22 miles of bike trail. For a reasonable rate, we rented this bike and thought we'd get all over. Wrong! It was definitely more difficult to cover distance than a normal bike, but we did get to sit next to each other. And it was a nice way to see the coastline - at least the small portion of it that we peddled along. Scott steered and I was busy holding my skirt down against the wind.

The island was beautiful and I'd love to go back again. And the good news is there are dozens of islands off the coast of Georgia for future explorations. Some of them are only reachable by ferry and have not been developed. I'm sensing future day trips...

Comments

Jessica Marie said…
How amazing! I can't believe they used seashells! That's awesome! I love the photo of you. The background looks amazing, especially with the color scheme. I love the trees in the background and the color of the building. You are both very talented at photography! Sounds like you had fun!
Cool place! When I see Wheat Thins I always think of you.

Happy Easter
Bree said…
Sounds fun!! Oh I can just picture you two on that bike...but I would have loved to see the real deal!! :) haha. Hope you'll take those day trips and post lots of pics, it's so cool to see these neat places you guys visit!
Heather said…
What a beautiful house... I love the east coast because of all the old buildings and history out there. Fun road trip, i can't wait to see what you came up with on your film!
Tam said…
OK I love Jekyll Island and could not visit you blog without a comment. Did you get to walk around the HISTORIC DISTRICT? Faith Chapel, The Kennedy's Vacation Home? There is always preservation work going on in that section and it is amazing. I have gotten to tour quite a few times since moving to GA. The first Transalantic phone call took place from Jekyll. The history of the Millionaires club is so amazing. Everytime I have visitors to GA I take them to Jekyll but they have not been as impressed with it as I have...I have a passion for Jekyll. You will also have to visit St Simons...love the lighthouse! OOO the island and the history is great. I love it even more than downtown Savannah but that is just me. I love Jekyll's history and The WATER!
Michelle Claire said…
Hey Mel! Looks like you guys are having fun! Oh, to answer your question, I just went to my blog header and clicked on edit. Then I just took a picture of mine from my computer and loaded it on. (I'm pretty proud of the picture... The lighting isn't so good, but I loved the sunset and the city in the background. Oh well, I tried...) But because my pics are always too big, I just trimmed it down to the size that was right and then loaded it. Hope that helps! :)
Tam said…
It is worth going back for. You guys need to book at night Jekyll Island Club Hotel..it is expensive but the place is nice! I have not gotten to stay there just gotten to tour it! Also Last summer they also opened a building which houses sea turtles that they have been saved. There are little shops scattered in the Historic District..tourist traps but a couple did have antiques...I have not been down since last fall. I often do stop by your blog and Cats!
Lisa Brown said…
I've always wanted to go down to Jekyll Island.

Most Read