Velkamen til Poulsbo

Viking image from here.

My thundering viking ancestors are calling me home.

Tomorrow, I'll be flying out of the Low Country to the land of lutefisk and bunads. No, I won't be traveling to Oslo, but to it's sister city in the Evergreen State. Haven't you heard of our strong Norwegian heritage in Poulsbo, Wash.? We like to think we were founded by Vikings back in the day. There's even an annual festival in May - Viking Fest. Oh, how I've missed the drunk Vikings "pillaging" main street during the parade. I miss the horned helmets and my bunad dress. I miss the cute buildings on Front Street. I can't wait to eat at Sluy's bakery and drink hot chocolate on Liberty Bay. I miss the breathtaking view of the Olympic Mountains - or any bump and hill. The south is as flat as can be - I guess that's why its known as the Low Country.

Did you know I was once the First Princess on the Miss Poulsbo Court and waved from a miata in the Viking Fest parade? Ah - another story for another time.

There truly is no place like home, and my hometown beauty and charm pull at my heartstrings. Yet its not just the sights - its the people. Not everyone though - there are a few people I'd rather not meet (also stories for another time and probably not to be shared on the world wide web). My whole Cleaver clan lives there - cousins, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.. And there are so many people in my church that have always been around. Then there are the kids I grew up with - lots of us have known each other since preschool and kindergarten.

I could just go on and on, but I won't bore you. Plus, I need to finish packing and get some sleep. I've got lots of work to do at my job before I take off for several days.

Comments

Jessica Marie said…
Make sure you take lots and lots of pictures! I remember when my dad use to work in Poulsbo and we would go to the Viking Parade and watch the fireworks! Good times, good times! I sure enjoy visiting once in a while! Have a great time!
Bree said…
Mel--I'm so happy you're going home for a few days! You don't happen to have a layover in I.F. do you?? :) hahaha. Have fun!!
Heather said…
It will be fun to have you home with us again. Poulsbo really is a special place... you'll be shocked by all the changes, even in the time since your sister's wedding.
Lisa Brown said…
Have an awesome trip! There really is nothing quite like going home.
Anonymous said…
so close and yet so far. have fun!!
Michelle Claire said…
Ah, Poulsbo... I love that place.

Most Read