Well? Did anyone else watch the first Jane Austen movie for PBS's Masterpiece Theater Classics series? I almost skipped it because I've seen "Persuasions" before and wasn't a big fan, but luckily I flipped it on anyway. It was a newer production that I didn't know existed! Much better!
So Leo and I cuddled on the couch with my crocheting and banned Scott to the other room. I don't try to force Scott to watch "chick flicks" anymore - he just ruins them. For example, if I'm by myself I can swoon at the romantic lines, maybe get a little choked up during the heartbreaks and smile during the happy endings. BUT if Scott is sitting next to me, I watch the whole movie through his eyes. All of a sudden, what my female brain says is sweet and romantic, I know Scott's male brain thinks its over-the-top and cheesy. It's awful! I just can't take my movies seriously knowing what that little smirk on his face means. The issue is resolved if I just force Leo to take his place as "chick flick" watching companion and cuddle buddy.
And there are plenty of other movies we can both agree on. We also watched "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," this weekend with Cate Blanchett. I was happy because it was a period peice with some romance and he was happy because it had a lot of interesting history.
But back to the Masterpiece Classic series. Here is the link to the schedule for those of you who like Jane Austen books and movies as much as I do. Next week is "Northanger Abbey." I've read this one, but never seen the movie. I'll post again next monday so we can all discuss how much we love it. So plan on a serious Jane Austen fest for the next five months.


Comments
Mindy - I am glad someone else understands how frustrating it is!
Cat - I'll remind you next time.
The funny thing is sometimes I think men are just too proud to allow themselves to enjoy the movie. I've caught Eric watching Lifetime a time or 2 when I wasn't in the room. :)