Assisi

My brother, aunt debbie, mom and dad trying to find the town center - but really just getting more lost.

I just realized I never finished blogging about my trip to Italy - or my trip to Utah! I think what happens is I start with a lot of momentum and then get burnt out after the first post. Today I'll back track and share about my time in Assisi.

"You have to go to Assisi," my friend Devan told us. Luckily, it was only an hour or so from our villa. We went once as a big group that included EVERYONE staying at our villa, and then a second time with just my dad, me, Tyler and Ambyr.

Our first trip to Assisi was a little crazy - we spent almost two hours trying to locate a wheelchair for a member of our group on the way up. That is one hour of two cars following a third lost car, and another 40 minutes sitting in an empty parking lot waiting for people to figure out where they heck we were going. Totally uneccesary - we definitely could have planned that one better.

Once we arrived in Assisi, I forgot all my frustration. It was beautiful! I was just as excited as a little kid seeing the castles in Disneyland. And the light was perfect - the sun was low in the sky and would soon set.

Me, mom, dad, and ryan.

My dad and I took so many pictures! It was so lovely and quaint - we couldn't resist. Then we got lost - for another hour - trying to find everyone else in the town center. We didn't think we needed a map, because all the other towns had been so small and easy to navigate. Not Assisi! You definitely need a map for that place. Normally, I wouldn't mind being lost in such a place, but I remember feeling worried about my mom and her sister for walking so much when they were both dealing with some recent injuries. But we eventually found everyone.
Here is my brother. You can see an example of the buildings color behind him. None of the other hilltop towns had as white of stone. The hues of the sunlight warmed everything up beautifully. And it was just as amazing after the sun set. I don't have pictures, but in my head I will never forget the full moon shining above the basilica and the starlit view of the valley below.

That, in a nutshell, was my first trip to Assisi.

Comments

Bree said…
Thanks for making me jealous of your travels ALL over again!! Hahaha! So beautiful!
Mindy said…
I love reading about all your trips. But I have to admit, I'm a little jealous too, lol! You guys go to such amazing places :)
Melissa said…
Thanks Mindy! I don't know how we did it - before we moved to Savannah, the farthest East I'd been was Idaho!
Lisa Brown said…
Oh, I want to go there!!! And to Paris, like in your last post. My kids need to get just a little bit older so I can leave them behind long enough for that European vacation I am dreaming of :).

Most Read