"I Capture the Castle"
I finished "I Capture the Castle," by Dodie Smith this week. My friend Cat writes reviews for each book she finishes, which I think is a fun idea. So I thought I'd share my thoughts on this one.
I first came across it reading an online interview with JK Rowling, who had said it was one of her favorite books. It was published in the 1940's by a woman who later wrote "101 Dalmatians." "I Capture the Castle," follows the romance of sisters Rose and Cassandra. And did I mention they live in an old, dilapidated castle?
It reminds me of a Jane Austen classic - two girls longing for romance and finding it in an unlikely situation. Yet there is a twist... Which I would love to tell you about, but then I'd be spoiling a wonderful story. But I will say this - The story is told through Cassandra's journal entries. It's a refreshing point of view and Cassandra is a youthful, friendly and creative soul that I loved after the first line "I write this sitting in the kitchen sink." Through her entries, Cassandra shares the loved ones in her life: Her father, the eccentric author who hasn't written in at least 10 years; her Bohemian step mother; the lovable Heloise - man's best friend; the seemingly simple minded servant Stephen; the old maid librarian Miss Marcy, etc...
Each character develops and learns the price of love, including Cassandra and her sister Rose. I think Cassandra is in the same class as other female characters I love - Anne of Green Gables, Emily of New Moon, Elizabeth Bennett - but Cassandra has her own quirks.
I would recommend this book to those who enjoy classics.
I first came across it reading an online interview with JK Rowling, who had said it was one of her favorite books. It was published in the 1940's by a woman who later wrote "101 Dalmatians." "I Capture the Castle," follows the romance of sisters Rose and Cassandra. And did I mention they live in an old, dilapidated castle?
It reminds me of a Jane Austen classic - two girls longing for romance and finding it in an unlikely situation. Yet there is a twist... Which I would love to tell you about, but then I'd be spoiling a wonderful story. But I will say this - The story is told through Cassandra's journal entries. It's a refreshing point of view and Cassandra is a youthful, friendly and creative soul that I loved after the first line "I write this sitting in the kitchen sink." Through her entries, Cassandra shares the loved ones in her life: Her father, the eccentric author who hasn't written in at least 10 years; her Bohemian step mother; the lovable Heloise - man's best friend; the seemingly simple minded servant Stephen; the old maid librarian Miss Marcy, etc...
Each character develops and learns the price of love, including Cassandra and her sister Rose. I think Cassandra is in the same class as other female characters I love - Anne of Green Gables, Emily of New Moon, Elizabeth Bennett - but Cassandra has her own quirks.
I would recommend this book to those who enjoy classics.

Comments