Monday, Monday... randomness

image from here.

Lately I've been thinking about musicals and theater. First, a friend reminded me of all the fun I had in New York watching Wicked when she mentioned on her blog buying tickets for the show in Atlanta. Second, another friend reminded me of all the acting and singing I used to do in high school, which I sadly don't do anymore. I sing whenever I get the chance - but my voice isn't the same without the regular practice. And I'm not sure the last time I was on a stage...

That got me wondering what my favorite musicals are currently. Here is the list I came up with:

Top 7 favorite musicals:
1. Les Miserable - (fav songs: "Who Am I?" "On My Own")

2. Wicked - (fav songs: "What is this Feeling?", "Dancing through life," "Defying Gravity")

3. Fiddler on the Roof - (Fav songs: "Sunrise, Sunset" "Matchmaker")

4. Phantom of the Opera - (Fav songs: "Masquerade" "Point of No Return")

5. Rag Time - (I can't remember! I saw this one a LONG time ago, but know I loved all the piano)

6. Sound of Music - (fav songs: "Edelweiss" "My Favorite things" "Sixteen going on Seventeen")

7. My Fair Lady - (fav songs: "Wouldn't it be loverly," "I could have danced all night," "Just you Wait," and "On the street where you live,")

I sure would love to get more involved with music and theater. Now isn't necessarily the best time, with planning for a new baby and a move. For now I'll stick with singing along to the soundtracks while I clean.

PS - I'd love to hear what musicals everyone else enjoys. I'd like to see "Young Frankenstein" sometime (love the movie). And if I'm in Pouslbo this fall/winter, I'd like to see "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" in Seattle (love this movie, too).

Comments

bethanyr32 said…
Well, I love Les Miserables and Phantom, of course. I hope to see Wicked one of these years, when our kids aren't quite so little. Some musicals you didn't mention that I love are Pirates of Penzance - just awesome, and I love Kevin Kline as the Pirate king in the movie version; and 1776, although you have to be prepared for some language with that one. I'm partial to the Music Man too, since that's the only show I've ever been in myself.
Ann said…
Oh, I couldn't help posting! I laugh at people who say that musicals aren't realistic... that in real life people don't spontaneously burst into song and dance... I do!
Here are my favorites (that you didn't already list):
The King and I
Kismet
South Pacific
Dames at Sea
Annie Get Your Gun
Me and My Girl
Oklahoma
Anything Goes
Guys and Dolls
Singing in the Rain
Into the Woods
Seussical
The Secret Garden
Kiss Me Kate
Bye Bye Birdie
Chess
Camelot
West Side Story

Ooh. that turned into quite a list!
Lisa Brown said…
I love your list, although I have never seen Rag Time and won't see Wicked until this fall. I LOVE musicals, and really miss performing in them too. The last one I was in was The Music Man, and I was the mayor's daughter, Zaneeta :). That was way too long ago.

When I get a chance, I will have to come up with my list of favorites.
Micah said…
Singing in the Rain and Funny Girl are my absolute Favorites and Mulon Rouge is a great one too. Seven brides for Seven brothers! I love them all actually!

Most Read