Leo and my archenemisis
Leo and I have met our archnemesis.
We have encountered him/her several times in the cemetery, in the squares, on the street. Each time has been a frightening experience. The most recent occurrence was yesterday on our habitual morning walk around the block.
Just like every day, we walked past the synagogue, around the Methodist church and into Calhoun Square. Then we saw him/her. I stopped walking. Leo stopped walking. We watched him/her to see if we'd been seen. We had. He/She flew from the ground to the park bench and began it's warning call.
Yes, Leo and I are scared of a bird. Not just any bird - the over-defensive little Thrusher-like birds that terrorize good citizens of Savannah during the summer. I'm not sure what they really are, but I know they better back off as I'm about to start carrying rocks in my pocket. It's one defensive parent versus one pregnant momma and her puppy.
Why are we so weary of these birds? They dive bomb the back of your head and actually hit you! And they following you for about 20 feet and do repeat bombs until you are out of their territory. My hair protects me from the direct hit, but poor Leo gets his butt divebombed when he is their target. And what have we ever done to them? Okay, I know Leo has eaten bird eggs before, but how would they know?
So yesterday morning, when faced with the choice of continuing on the trail we take everyday, or turning around... Well, I wanted to continue on and show that bird who's who. But Leo? No way! He stopped, dug his feet in and refused to move forward. The bird won that time...
I'm packing rocks.
We have encountered him/her several times in the cemetery, in the squares, on the street. Each time has been a frightening experience. The most recent occurrence was yesterday on our habitual morning walk around the block.
Just like every day, we walked past the synagogue, around the Methodist church and into Calhoun Square. Then we saw him/her. I stopped walking. Leo stopped walking. We watched him/her to see if we'd been seen. We had. He/She flew from the ground to the park bench and began it's warning call.
Yes, Leo and I are scared of a bird. Not just any bird - the over-defensive little Thrusher-like birds that terrorize good citizens of Savannah during the summer. I'm not sure what they really are, but I know they better back off as I'm about to start carrying rocks in my pocket. It's one defensive parent versus one pregnant momma and her puppy.
Why are we so weary of these birds? They dive bomb the back of your head and actually hit you! And they following you for about 20 feet and do repeat bombs until you are out of their territory. My hair protects me from the direct hit, but poor Leo gets his butt divebombed when he is their target. And what have we ever done to them? Okay, I know Leo has eaten bird eggs before, but how would they know?
So yesterday morning, when faced with the choice of continuing on the trail we take everyday, or turning around... Well, I wanted to continue on and show that bird who's who. But Leo? No way! He stopped, dug his feet in and refused to move forward. The bird won that time...
I'm packing rocks.

Comments
Way to be brave though, Mel...definitely bring rocks next time!
In answer to your comment on my blog, that was Eliza who was a baby when you came to visit. Liam was born 10 days before we moved back to Poulsbo. Insane, huh?