A history of grilled cheese

Spring is here, but Rexburg is snowy and cold. Not as cold as it has been, but everything is white and windy.

Today is the perfect day for a grilled cheese sandwich. Preferably on sourdough, with sharp cheddar and dipped in tomato soup.

I can't eat grilled cheese without thinking of my dear friend Meghan. She really taught me how to perfect the sandwich (sourdough was her idea, I'd never tried it with my grilled cheese before her).

Meghan and I met in the sixth grade. Shortly thereafter we bonded over this scrumptious sandwich. In high school, we would race to her car at the beginning of lunch and drive to her house and make sandwiches as quick as we could. We would barely have time to gulp them down, before racing back to class. There is nothing like warm cheese and toasted bread.

Because we took French together, we always had the same lunch. Thank goodness - I don't know what would have happened otherwise.

While taking French from the eclectic Mr. Johnson - *AHEM* Excusez Moi, Monsieur Johnson - we developed a love for several other fine foods. Crepes and Brie cheese.

Once a semester, Monsieur Johnson through his classes a crepe party. Meghan, our other friend Kalena, and I would eat until we were sick. I preferred my crepes with lemon juice and powdered sugar - although I am not opposed to eating them with nutella and strawberries. We got the recipe and even tried to make them on our own. But it just isn't the same without the little crepemaker Monsieur Jonhson used. So what did Meghan get me for my wedding years later? Oh yes, my very own crepe maker. Scott and I have had many delicious meals with it for the last 5 years. Luckily, he shares my love for grilled cheese and crepes (not sure about the brie, though).

Meg and me and my bridal shower in 2003.

This winter I was living near Meghan again in Washington state. I found out she still didn't have a crepemaker of her very own. It was tragic! So I looked all over town. No one seemed to carry them - must have been a hot Christmas item. But finally, my dad and Scott found one at the mall. It was the very last one they had. I know she is enjoying it now!

Moving onto our third food passion - brie. We love it. Once, our local market was doing a free cheese sample session. Every cheese imaginable was offered. We made it our lunch one day and then came back to my house with a big round of brie and apples. We just sat there watching Lifetimes movies and ate the whole round. I've never felt so sick in my life! Ugh! But it was delicious.


She visited me in San Francisco a couple years ago. I'm pretty sure we made our own grilled cheese there, too. And I know we ate delicious sourdough on Pier 99.

Then this December, me and my 9-month pregnant belly spent an evening with Meghan in Seattle. She took me to her favorite french cafe in the city. And what did we eat? Croque Monsieurs! Which is the french equivalent to grilled cheese (but with ham).

Any way, funny how eating a food makes you all warm and fuzzy because it brings back so many good memories. Meghan is still one of my best friends and one of the few I keep in touch with from high school.

I sure love you Meg! Hope I didn't embarrass you! I know you read my blog even if you never comment - ha ha.

Comments

Natalie said…
Aw, I'm glad you have such a good friend! Grilled cheese are delicious! Do you ever dip yours in ketchup? My family does and apparently that is not normal. You should try it!
Anonymous said…
Oh, man. Sourdough is my number one fav, but I don't think I've ever had it as grilled cheese ... I have a hunch I've been missing something dang near incredible all these years ....
Paul and Susan said…
What fun memories to recall.
Meghan said…
Awww...what a cute post! So cute that I will leave my first comment here : ) You never told me how difficult it was to find that crepe maker, but I'm sure glad you did! In fact, I think maybe I'll have crepes for breakfast tomorrow...

Most Read