day nine

We are on day nine of the you-know-what. (If you don't know, Soren has the runs).

Here is my new hypothesis: I think he is teething. Because...
  • No fever or change in diet. Plus a normal virus is gone around day 7 (according to my dr.)
  • Increased love for binky. He is never happy without it in his mouth and is constantly sucking/chomping away. He is even fussy when eating - until I give him his binky back.
  • Definitely a little more sensitive and clingy (although that could easily be because of the sore bum)
  • I can kind of feel something, but I can't get him to open up or move his tongue to get a good look.
I called Krachelle, Soren's doctor's admin, 4 times today. And visited her once. The dr. gave him some medicine today. Actually, we had to pick it up from The Medicine Shoppe. Krachelle gave me the wrong directions and I ended up at The Medical Shop on the opposite end of town. Luckily, not a big town. Unluckily, baby got mad and screamed the rest of the drive.

Eventually found the Medicine Shop and was practically in tears from frustration. (I'm a little sensitive after 9 days of Soren's painful diaper rashes, less than normal sleep and a sad baby). Yet I held it together and was polite to the pharmacist. Who had an attitude so I took revenge by wiping one of Soren's big boogers under her counter. How old am I? But I felt better.

We eventually left with the medicine. It is chocolate flavored to hide the nasty metallic taste. I expected him to hate it, but he swallowed it okay. We'll see how he likes the next dose.

I'm also supposed to gather a culture from his diapers. Has anyone had to do that for a baby with the runs? It is ridiculous! And sorry if this grosses you out - but you have to get about an inch of runny poop by scooping it up with a little fork, which is near impossible because it is absorbed into the diaper so quickly. I'm giving it a try, but they might be hearing from me again tomorrow.

Oh - And did I mention I scratched my eyeball today? I had to walk in 35 mph wind to pick up our car to do all the above mentioned errands and got debri in my eye. It felt like it had swollen shut for a little bit. And now my vision is slightly blurry. I'll give it until tomorrow morning and then I'm calling an optometrist.

I also dropped my dinner plate when I was trying to pick up a crying Soren. And I got the chocolate medicine bottle mixed up with the poop sample bottle (meaning things got dropped into the chocolate that shouldn't have), so I'm going to have to go visit my "friend" at the medicine shoppe again tomorrow.

I think I had my own "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." Sadly, Leo and Scott get the brunt of my bad days - and they're still nice to me!

Comments

Restless Mama said…
You poor thiing, thankfully you've got some supportive peeps surrounding you. It's funny as I was going to type you a comment I found Aidan chewing on a wire and then when I put him in his walker he was yanking on the curtains....it just never ends. Keep with it (I know you will) and know that you've got a heap of people who are here for you when you're feeling frusturated.
Any baby poop gross? Yeah but we mamas know how it goes. Aidan and I are sending you lots of hugs.
xoxoxoxoxo
Natalie said…
Poor Melissa! That is a rough day. Hope Soren gets better really soon! And your eye too. Good luck scooping up his poop, awww!
Anonymous said…
For such a stinker, he sure is cute. I would agree that it is teething but hard to believe that it could already be time for teeth. HOly Smokes!
And sucks about your eye, but I can't not leave my 2 cents on that: flush with water. if it doesn't feel like something is in there, it probably isn't anymore. there's not much you can do for a scratched cornea except let it heal. now if it gets all read and inflammed and really painful, go to the dr.
My little sister was here last week and she was on diaper duty. I always look at his poop to make sure things are ok. When I asked her if his poop looked ok, she looked like she was going to throw up and informed me that she didn't look at poop.
good luck!
Michelle Claire said…
I'm so sorry Mel! THAT definitely sounded horrible... I feel for you! i hope your eye gets better and Soren starts to feel better as well so you don't have to make so many trips to the Dr.'s! You are handling it like a pro though! And Soren knows his Mommy is there taking care of him, and that makes all of it so worth it!
so... it all came to a booger wiping head, huh... that is such an awesome reaction.... I hope today is better! : )
Anonymous said…
Even on the worst of days, you crack me up! Keep your great sense of humour ... even if it is sometimes borne of sheer desperation. Just think, there's nowhere to go but UP from here, right??!
The Clifts said…
That sounds horrible! I'm so sorry. I hope he feels better soon, and you get some sleep!
Im sorry you had a bad day! Sounds crazy! I hope Soren's cute little bumm gets better!
Paul and Susan said…
I know you are going to think we are horrible, but as I read your blog out loud to Dad we just laughed and laughed. I know it's not funny to you at this time, but the "booger" incident and the mix up of the chocolate and the poop and all the things that went wrong all day made us laugh so hard. Things don't make me laugh out loud very often, but your description of your day did the job. Laughter is suppose to be good for the soul, so thank you for bringing a bright spot into my day.
Bree said…
Oh Mel, sorry it hasn't gotten better yet :(. You should've called me!!! I could've come over and relieved you, or you could've come over here for a change of pace. Next time!!! Hopefully things are better this week!!
Micah said…
Oh my gosh Melissa. Well thank you for warning me about the perils of mother hood. It does sound like you had a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." That was one of my fav books as a kid. I hope Soren starts to feel better. He is such a cutie pie and has the most wonderful facial expressions!
Rebecca said…
I'm so sorry. poor baby and poor mommy! I got the widget thing to work, thanks a lot! And yes, we are going to SLC for the wedding --we'll look forward to seeing you there!
staci baker said…
Hey, Melissa! I sent you an invite to my blog, but I'm not sure I had the email address right. Email me at stacibaker5@gmail.com if you didn't get the invite!

And I think Soren is teething, too. Hopefully the runs stop soon! :)
Lisa Brown said…
I think you are probably right, but my kids teethed super late, so I am not much help. The only time I remember my kids having the runs was after an antibiotic, and their porr little bums would be so sore, I took to putting on the desitin before I even started the medicine. Oh, and if you want something that works even better to heal his poor bum than Desitin, you can use Lansinoh (the stuff women use to heal their sore breasts) or bag bam (you can get it at walmart and it is essentially the same thing, but it was created for cows and people use it for dry skin).

Wish I could have had time to see you when I was in Idaho! It was fun to catch up on what you have been up to though, since I haven't had a second to look at peoples blogs in 3 weeks.
Allison Harris said…
He is SO cute Melissa! If I still lived there I would hold him all day long...and then when the kids were in bed we'd sew. :)

Most Read