Independent momma

I beamed with pride Sunday afternoon as I completed my first road trip on my very own with Soren. Here is how it went:

Thurs: The impossible task of organizing with a 3 month old.
  • Spent the day organizing to leave first thing in the morning.
  • Sad to know my camera battery ws dead and we couldn't find the charger.

Fri: Successfully and peacefully driving to Salt Lake, Payson and Orem.
  • Woke up at 7 a.m., fed Soren, took Scott to work and hit the road in our new car!
  • Stopped 10 miles outside Ogden at the best rest stop to change, feed Soren and had a delicious breakfast burrito.
  • Handled SLC very nicely -definitely not as bad as I had feared. (My first time driving down there).
  • Hit first traffic jam 4 miles from my destination.
  • Visited Jana (my sisterinlaw) and family.
  • Left for Orem to stay with my dear cousin Robyn (who is the best for letting us stay with her)
  • Decided it is much easier to take care of a baby when you don't have to cook or do any housework.
  • Soren slept all night and didn't cry!
Sat: Oh, I just love my family!
  • Woke up at 7, fed Soren and dressed for Ben's sealing at the Salt Lake Temple.
  • Couldn't get my hair to look good. UGH@! And my skirt was wrinkled. Luckily, Robyn woke up just in time to get the ironing board out before I had to leave.
  • Found my other cousin, Megan's home near Salt Lake. She is also the best for watching Soren.
  • I'm a dork and coulsn't find the temple parking garage and parked on the street and had to walk a little ways. But I wasn't late.
  • Was really confused trying to find my family before proceeding to the wedding. Luckily, all the sweet elderly people who work at the temple are wonderful.
  • Loved being in the temple and being reminded of the covenants Scott and I made when we were married. My grandpa, who had sealed Scott and I 5 years ago, also sealed Ben and his new wife Allyson. It was the first time I'd heard him do a sealing since my own, so it was very special.
  • Afterwards, I drove rather quickly back to Megan's for Soren. Not really acceptable to visit with family and not have him - as they had yet to meet him. Not that they don't like me - but let's be honest, a baby is way more cute and fun.
  • Loved seeing everyone love him almost as much as me.
  • Ate fabulously at the restaurant on top of the Joseph Smilth Building with Grandpa, Uncle Marshall, Aunt Debbie, cousins Darlene and Greg, Seth and Rebecca and their cute kids. (Thanks for the food Grandpa. and Thanks for sharing your delicious salmon with me Rebecca)
  • Soren woke up from a nap and cried when he saw Marshall. Ha ha ha!
  • Took pictures of Grandpa SOren and I with the Temple in the background. (on Grandpas camera, otherwise I would post)
  • Greg and Darlene were nice enough to drive me back to my car.
  • I accidentally hit the alarm button on my key chain as Greg was standing right next to the engine. Oops!
  • Drove Darlene, Soren and I to visit with family at their hotel in Orem.
  • More fun watching everyone love S0ren. We set him on the bed and everyone stood around it and made him laugh. He loved it and smiled like a champ the whole time.
  • Enjoyed a nice evening at Ben and Allyson's wedding reception. She was a beautiful bride! And Ben didn't look too bad himself.
  • Visited with more family - Robyn & Jeff, Kenny & Sarah, Tyler, Seth & Rebbecca, Scott, Debbie, Marshall, Grandpa, etc..
  • Soren was passed all over and at one point a complete stranger was holding him.
  • Very happy to go to bed that night. Sadly, Soren didn't sleep well. It was too cold and I was so exhausted I didn't realize it until 5 a.m. Then he woke up to eat at 6:30.
Sun: Home again.
  • Left for home in the rain.
  • Listened to "The Horse and his Boy," by C.S. Lewis (part of the Narnia series).
  • Stopped at my favorite rest stop outside of Ogden again. Ate a delicious hamburger and played with Soren.
  • Drove the rest of the way. Soren slept for most the drive, but did fuss a little around Poccatello.
  • Tired and home. Kind of grouchy to Scott, but woke up feeling much better on Monday.

Comments

Sucess!!!! Congrats!!!
....i mean success!... sorry... (i'm such a nerd..)
Salina said…
Yah, you did it! Sorry we didn't get to catch up, but looks like you were plenty busy anyway! Next time for sure! Now I just have to be brave enough to take a road trip with Carissa! (when you meet her, you'll understand!!!) ;)
Natalie said…
Congratulations! Quite a busy busy weekend, you must be tired
Restless Mama said…
Good for you! I'm very happy for you m'dear. Road trips solo with a baby is no easy feat. You should dance in pride and joy.
Paul and Susan said…
Thanks for representing our family. It's good I wasn't there or else I would have hogged Soren the whole time. It's nice the whole family helped out and loved him and you.
Rebecca said…
I'm so glad you could come! It was so fun to visit with you. Thanks for the salad ;)
Lisa Brown said…
Good for you! And it sounds like you had a fantastic time too. If your life goes anything like mine, that will be the first of many trips with the kids without your husband. Sometimes it is just too hard for them to get away, and so you just go anyway :). I still remember my first flight with Lily as a baby, and then my 3 day road trip to CA when she was 8 months old. Isn't being a mom an adventure :)?
Robyn said…
It was fun to have you two stay with us. Sorry it was so cold. Jeff and I are used to it (Jeff gets way too hot, so I just sleep with lots of blankets). Next time I promise it won't be so cold, so you will have to come hang out with us again.

Most Read