Close call in Teton

Teton probably has a population of 5 people.

Last week when Terry (Scott's mom) was with us, we decided to take a break from unpacking and visit Scott's sister Kirsten. She just moved to Victor, Idaho (a.k.a - almost the middle of no where), which is near Driggs and up against the beautiful Tetons. 

Scott was supposed to be our chauffeur, but got sick last minute. He gave us directions and I drove, with Terry and Soren in the back seat. The road to Victor takes you through lots of little, population: 5, farming towns. Teton is one of these. Just as we were about to leave it's boundaries, I see flashing lights in my review mirror. I was getting pulled over. 

So I stopped the car, whipped out my license and took off my sunglasses (just so I would look like a nicer person). I really hoped he would notice my baby in the back seat. 

He said "Did you know you were speeding through a school zone?" 

I apologized and said I didn't realize I had been passing through a school zone and that I thought the speed limit was still 35. And then he tells me I wasn't even going 35 (oops!), I was going 41.  So I apologize again and explain how I am new around here and never driven through Teton. And then my mother-in-law saved the day. She pipes up from the back seat about how we are trying to get to her daughters in Victor and we have never been there. And hands him our scribbled directions on scratch paper, reinforcing the point that we are innocent newcomers who would never purposefully speed through his little town. 

He looks them over and tells us we are headed in the right directions. Then he tells me that he'll make a deal with me - as long as my license checks out, then he will let me off with a warning. Yahoo! 

In no time, we were off again to Victor. Once we arrived at Kirsten's, we told her the story and heard she had been pulled over by the same cop in Newdale, the next town up, and also got off with a warning.

SO moral of the story, don't ignore those little towns - they mean business with their traffic signs.



Comments

Deanna said…
Sweet! So glad you got off. You are right, it's the little towns that the cops mean business. So we might know more of the same people :) Charles' brother and sis-in-law live in Victor! I'm sure they're in the same ward. I think there's only one b/c yes, it's a tiny town.
Andrea Grover said…
I know exactly where you got pulled over. I understand that there is, in fact, a school there, but it's such a speed trap. I've caught myself speeding through there a time or two (and consequentially slowed down), but I've never had the pleasure of being pulled over.
Natalie said…
So funny, how great of Terry to save the day. I can just picture all of this happening!!
We were really lucky!!! ; )

Most Read