Favorite Christmas Memory #1

I thought I would start sharing some of my favorite Christmas memories, in no particular order. Here is the first one that came to mind:

I'm about six or seven years old and it is Christmas Eve at my Grandma Cleaver's home. The food is great, but the night feels so long until we can open our presents. Finally, the adults are done eating and Grandma has taken her position by the tree. Grandma always chooses the gifts from under the tree, hollers whoever it belongs to, and us grandkids run the gift to the person. The faster you go, the quicker to getting your own gift.

That Christmas, Grandma made her granddaughters beautiful Red Riding Hood dolls. Each one had a hand-painted face with bright oval eyes, long lashes and ruby red lips. They each had beautiful curly hair that was the color of the specific granddaughter whom it belonged too. And when you flipped the doll over, it became Red Riding Hood's grandma in her nightgown AND the big bad wolf.

I don't know how it started, but my cousin Logan (who pretended to be a dog and bite your feet on normal days) became the Big Bad Wolf and chased all us Red Riding Hoods for the rest of the night. We screamed and hollered down to the basement, hiding in the scary, cobb-web infested garage, running outside on the deck, running up and down the hall way. No one stopped us - they let us have a blast. Little feet pounded the floor, high pitched screams pierced the air, and long black, brown, blonde and red hair whipped around corners and disappeared under beds and into closets as we waited, out of breath, for the Big Bad Wolf to scare us silly.

I am 25 years old and have had many more good times since then, but that night of running wild with my girl cousins around Grandma's house is still one of the most fun nights I've ever had. And if they were ever game - I would do it again.

Comments

Salina said…
That memory makes me smile, cause I remember you playing with that little doll! Now I know the story behind it! How awesome that you remember! I'm starting to forget already! Here's one my kids have NEVER forgotten...making gingerbread houses with you! They talk about it every christmas and want me to do one too, but we never get around to doing it. Thank you for that wonderful memory!
oh what a neat memory! I was probably too little to enjoy this.
Restless Mama said…
FUN! What a special memory. How are you feeling? Any news on your last appointment?
lindsey said…
What a great story!

Most Read