Once upon a time, 7 autumns ago...

Guitars Unplugged 04

Since I've been home, I've been using my mom's computer. This morning, I was looking in her pictures file and found some classics, like the above of Scott playing in Guitars Unplugged during our college days. Of course, seeing this made me reminisce:

  •  Scott and I met my first semester at BYU-Idaho. I had just told a really nice guy that I wasn't planning to date anyone yet, so he shouldn't be disappointed that I was turning him down. Ha ha - then I met Scott. My vow didn't last long after that, and neither did my friendship with Boy #1.
  • Scott and I first saw each other on a leadership retreat to Teton Lodge. We rode the same bus - I thought he was tall, dark and handsome. He thought I had beautiful hair. We were both to shy to talk to each other that weekend.
  • Our paths crossed again about one week later, when we were both leaving the Taylor Chapel. Scott walked with me across campus and struck up a conversation. I still remember the beautiful, sunny day. He walked me all the way to my dorm and we talked about cameras, photography and California.
  • Our first dance was after Guitars Unplugged - which I had gone to with Boy #1. He got my phone number.
  • Our first date was a homemade spaghetti dinner with my roommates and a few girlfriends (with their dates) and then we played sock tag in the Romney Building, until a security officer kicked us out. 
  • Our first kiss was in a starlit field with a beautiful view of town. (okay, it was a  potato field and the town was Rexburg - but it was still beautiful and very romantic).
Isn't if funny how life twists and turns? When we moved away from Rexburg 3 years ago, I never would have guessed that we would return. Very often, I find myself trying to control all that I can. If I controlled all of my future, I don't think life would be so fun...or tender and sweet. How thankful I am for a Heavenly Father who knows me, my life and what I need. 

Last time I lived in Rexburg, I found Scott and learned how to be wife, companion and best friend. This time I'll live their and learn how to be a mother. 


Comments

Anonymous said…
Melissa! This is one of my favorite blogs of yours, I think! So glad you found the man of your life ... and best wishes for all the new adventures yet to come. Thanks for sharing!
Deanna said…
Soo cute! I love it! If you know Rexburg is the place the Lord wants you to be then it makes it a lot easier to go. I love your last lines about learning to be a wife and now a mother. The Lord always gives us the desires of our hearts w/ twists of his own.
Meg said…
What a beautiful story. I remember going to the family reunion in Park City in 2002 and asking you bunches of questions about this "Scott" that you kept talking to on the phone.
Natalie said…
What a sweet story you and Scott have!
lindsey said…
I love this post. :)
Jessica Marie said…
Awwww! How sweet! Very romantic! I'm so excited for you to be a mommy! Congrats! :)

Most Read