Baby, baby, baby

I had this dream the other night where I saw my baby's face! All I remember are big, bright eyes and being pleasantly happy that he was beautiful. In my dream, we just stared into each others eyes. I woke up so content and joyful. Wish that dream could repeat itself every night!

Since then, it has occurred to me that I am actually going to have my own baby. You think? So almost 6 months into this, I've begun to think more about baby supplies. So all you mothers, aunts and baby pros... I'd love to hear your advice:

From Mommas to Momma-to-be
1.) What could you not live without with a newborn?

2.) What are your favorite brands? (diapers, strollers, car seat, baby carrier)

3.) What type of baby carrier is really the most comfortable?

4.) What is your favorite thing about having a baby? ("having" meaning literally the delivery or "to have and to hold.")

5.) What other advice would you like to share?

Comments

Andrea Grover said…
Exciting times for you! Here's my two cents:

1) Sleep. Take your husband up on every offer to catch a nap while he does baby duty.

2) I'm cheap. I use generic or buy second-hand. There's an awesome store in I.F. called Once Upon a Child. Almost everything I buy for my kids I get there or from the clearance racks at Wal-Mart or Target. Bekah already has several 5T-sized items in her closet even though she's currently wearing 3T because I find them cheap and know she'll grow into them later.

3) I heard about mai teis from a lady who makes them. You can visit her site at www.haveaballbaby.com. Although I never bought one from her, I borrowed the idea and made one of my own. I love that you can wear your baby on your stomach, your back or even your hip. And the straps are so wide that they don't cut into your neck or shoulders.

4) I may sound like a LLL-er, but I absolutely loved breastfeeding my babies. I didn't particularly enjoy being engorged, bitten or leaky, but those quiet moments when I could just stare into my baby's eyes were priceless. It was absolutely worth it.

5) I realize that every child is different, but for us, the Babywise method helped our kids start sleeping through the night when they were about 2 months old. I'd totally recommend it to anyone willing to try it. I bought my copy of the book on Amazon.
Deanna said…
If it's one thing I like it's sharing my opinions/advice :) You definitely get a lot of advice when you're pregnant and every baby is different so you won't really know what you need to know until you've been there done that.
Newborns: expect it to be REALLY HARD and that way if you have a perfect baby you won't be let down. The first 2 months were exhausting and stressful mostly b/c I thought I was "educated" having read and studied so much about babies. Boy was I wrong! I needed to be humbled, I was a complete wreck.
Diapers: Pampers Swaddlers are best for newborns. Pampers are the best brand but also the most expensive. After Azure grew out of the newborn size we switched to Luvs, they are made by Pampers but lots cheaper and almost just as good.
Car seats: I would highly recommend buying a travel system- car seat and stroller in one. It is so covenient to click the car seat into the stroller when the baby is sleeping. I would check Consumer Reports for the safest travel system.
Having a baby: Make a birth plan! If you already think you want an epidural then just plan for that. However, if you want to go natural you need to start now practicing your pain management plan. If you think I'll just try it on my own until it hurts too bad, you'll get an epidural- you need a plan. Having said that though, plan for a plan B so you're not devastated if things don't work out. I used hypnobirthing and I recommend it: http://www.birthnaturally.org/
I think that's enough advice for now.
Anonymous said…
I would have to say, I agree with pretty much everything already. I would not cheap out on diapers. At least, not at first. I've tried other diapers and they leak alot. With the Pampers, I have never been disappointed. Now, my gDiapers, whole nother story, love love love them, but when they poop it's a little messy. I would wait until 12-15lbs before starting my next baby in them.
My biggest piece of advice is to expect nothing and plan for everything. ANd let your instincts guide you before you listen to someone else, friend or doctor.
You can never spoil a baby. My favorite is the holding part of a baby. I still hold my baby way too much. I don't think I do though.
I loved having a bassinet the first few months. It was easy to move around and he would be right there whenever I thought I heard him not breathing.
You'll do great!!
britni jean said…
Well i am no expert, but i think i've learned a few things thus far.

1-a Swing. My second baby would only sleep in her swing while it was moving. i have a travel swing and i really like it because it is little and i can take it to any room in my house easily. (but i've heard that some babies don't like swings)
2-BRANDS: diapers-i love pampers, especially the Newborn pampers swaddlers. But then when my babies got to size 1 i am just too cheap to keep buying pampers, but i hate the store brand diapers. i found that i really like the LUVS brand diapers. BABY EQUIPTMENT: i'm a total "Graco" fan! the buckles on their carseat are easy and simple to get baby in and out! I'm not a fan of the "travel systems" so far i think i'm the only mom i know that doesn't like them. i've actually never had one. but i never wanted one. the stroller just seems way TOO BIG! so i got a fancy umbrella type stroller a "Chicco" brand. and i totally LOVE it. small and compact and fits nice in my car without taking up the entire trunk space. also easy to fold up and carry, easy to manuver. they have some even fancier ones like my Chicco stroller under the brand "Mclearan"
3-BABY CARRIER: most comfortable i would have to say the baby BJORN! i don't have one, but i borrowed a friends, love it. however, i did buy the "SUNGLI-evenflo" front to back carrier, because i wanted something that would last longer that i could carry my baby on my back when she gets older. and besides it's way cheaper than a bjorn. (but the bjorn is so comfortable)
4-watching them learn and grow. How they know the sound of my voice right away, how she looks at me and smiles! She knows i'm there just for her.
5-Remember that it's ok to ask for help. Hopefully you will have someone there (like your mom) to take care of you and help out with the baby and meals and stuff. with my first my mom came and with my second my mom was on a mission so i was left alone; husband back to work, a two year old, and a brand new baby! whoa! what a differece it was having my mom there. so make sure you have some extra help for that first week. also, remember it is all worth it, even in those hard moments.

well that was a lot more than i planned on saying, but for what it's worth there it is. I know you will be a great mom! i'm excited to see picture of your cute baby boy in just another few months!! luv, britni
Anonymous said…
1) If you are planning on breasfeeding, a co-sleeper. It is so nice to have baby right next to you, sleeping. You just reach over pop him on and then put him back to sleep. The first couple weeks I wsa nursing every 30 minutes, so it was so nice durring the night. Also, it's nice to be able to check if they are breathing, you will do this about a million times a night.

2.)Favorite diapers for a newborn are Swaddlers by pampers. They are really great for tiny newborns. After a couple months I switched to the Kirkland Brand from Costco, which to me are better than Huggies.
I would highly recommend a snap and go stroller. They are great to use with the infant carseat (you can find them second hand for good prices). After about six months a McClarren stroller is great. They are a little pricy, but it will last till he is three or four, and it is great for airtravel!!
3.) I used a baby bjorn and really didn't think it was that great. I have heard the slings are much more comfy and easier to use.

4.) The best thing is how your life will never be the same again. Having a baby really changes everything in the best ways!

5.)Don't expect to much from yourself. As a first time mom, I wanted to do it all. It is really hard, especially the first few months. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Ask you family, friends, anyone who will chip in. You will be a better mom for it. Trust me! It is really easy to get burnt out.
Lisa Brown said…
1. Moral support (aka: calling my sisters and other new moms), my baby swing, "Tha Baby Book" by Dr. Sears, "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" - put out by LeLeche League, Lasinoh ointment, etc. Call me :).

2. Diapers changed as they grew:
For newborns - the expensive Pampers.
For size 1 - huggies or luvs
Any other size - Target brand :)

Strollers - I would get a nice jogging stroller. Maybe borrow one of those bulky ones you can hook your carseat to, but don't buy one. And have a cheap umbrella stroller in the car for emergencies.

Car seat - Graco, all the way. So easy, and pretty reasonably priced.

Baby Carrier - I would get a sling and have someone show you how to use it. I had a baby Bjorn type with Lily, and it hurt me to wear. With Derek I used the sling all the time!!

3. I guess I just answered that. Slings are the most comfy.

4. Literal part - When they give you your baby and get to look into their eyes for the first time. Make sure you tell them you want them to wait to put the eye goop in their eyes (they can wait an hour before they do it), because then you get to connect with your baby right away when they are alert and looking for YOU :)!

Other - That this sweet little thing loved you more than anything and depended upon you. This was also the part that terrified me too :).

5. Listen to everyone, read everything, but then DO what feels right to you as a mother. I had doctors give me bad info, etc, but as long as you do what feels right, it usually is what is best for your baby.

Also, realize that it all takes time. You may stare at your baby and wonder who this is, or you may feel instantly attached. For me it took a few days to realize she was really mine.

It takes about 6 weeks to feel better physically. It also takes about that long to get nursing down - then it usually gets to be second nature and even easy for both you and the baby.

It takes about 3 months to feel like you are in control of the situation and to be okay with everyday events, like grocery shopping, etc. Then it really starts to click.

And if you are ever at your wits end, feel awful, don't know what to do, or maybe are even battling Postpartum depressin, pray, and don't get up until you feel better.

You will be awesome!!!
The Clifts said…
One of the things that I wish I would've known before i had my babies is that Doctors and nurses don't know everything. Most of the time they are right, but not every situation is the same and so it is important to remember that if you feel like something should be different, tell them. I wish I would have and then maybe I wouldn't have had to have c-sections. Don't hesitate to tell them what you think because you are paying them to take care of you. Can you tell I am still a little bitter about my experience? :)
I wouldn't invest too much money on a lot of cute (complicated) outfits for 0-6 months since most of the time they will just be hanging out in a onesie wrapped in a blanket.
i loved using layettes (the bag like pajamas that are opened at the bottom.) even though they look like a dress, they are the best at night when you are exhausted because you can pull them up to change diapers and don't have to mess with snaps and buttons.
I liked the pampers swaddlers too while your little boy is healing from his circumcision. But after that, I just put my kids in walmart brand because when they are that small you change their diapers more often, they don't need extra absorbancy. When my kids get older I switch them to huggies when they start leaking through at night. Too much information?
Mindy said…
1. I loved my snuggle nest, made by baby delight. For me, not having to leave my bed to nurse or change diapers in the middle of the night was priceless!

My close second would have to be my bebePod, or a bumbo seat. The baby can't sit in it until 3 mo old or so, but they are awesome!

2. diapers - luvs (but I've heard they're not as good for boys)

strollers - Burley bike trailer/ stroller, second would be graco

3. I had two. For around the house or short trips I used my baby bjorn. For longer trips or hiking I always used my kelty front carrier, and then a kelty backpack when they were old enough.

4. Actually giving birth was no fun, but when they placed my girls in my arms for the first time... I couldn't help crying :) And I actually loved breast feeding too. Andrea said it well!

5. Be prepared for a wild ride of emotions that you can't control. I'm convinced I got the baby blues with both my kids, which really shocked me. It might not happen, but be ready for anything and take one day at a time :)
bethanyr32 said…
For baby supplies, I love Target. Their diapers are amazingly absorbent and so much cheaper than other brands. (however, their diaper cream with aloe doesn't work so well.) If your baby gets diaper rash like ours do, use a little vasoline on their bum to protect the skin so they don't get a rash in the first place.
My favorite time with my babies is feeding them to sleep at night. They're so cute and cuddly and contented.
And always seize the opportunity to nap, like everyone has told you!
Bree said…
I had a vivid dream of my baby when I was prego too...isn't it cool!! I'll just email you all my baby recommendations. So excited about your plans...I'll keep my eyes and ears open for you guys! Can't wait to see you!! 4 months and counting! :)
Restless Mama said…
Haven't had mine yet (just a few more days!) but I've tested out the stroller, it's a Chicco travel system and it's pretty much awesome! My cousin used the same one for her little guy and kept it until he was almost 1 year old.

I'll let you know more when my little man arrives.

Consumer Reports is a great place to get information.
Powell Family said…
we will be living here untill my husband finishes school. That won't be for another couple of years.
Tam said…
Advice: Sleep when YOUR baby sleeps and do not worry about cleaning and cooking right away...just relax and enjoy your baby! We tend to want to put the baby down for a nap and get all our chores down during their Nap time and well JUST SLEEP WHEN YOUR BABY SLEEPS...he will dictact your schedule and just go with the flow for him and YOU!

I love Huggies Diapers
I LOVE the BABY BJORN! There is a sport one that you should check out! I had a sling but my son had reflux and he the bjorn was the answer for US! IT is easy to us and comfortable! I liked the sling but I liked the more secure feeling of the bjorn.

I have BRITAX car seats and LOVE THEM! Britax is great because you can order extra covers and all the parts when your car seat gets nasty. They are expensive but seriously worth the big BUCKS...check it out!

I had a Jogging stroller and a double Zooper Stroller...liked them both. Baby Trend is making a strolling that all the MOMS around Richmond Hill are in love with. IT is a jogger with a car seat that can be attached.

READ the BOOK BABY WHISPERER! LOVE THAT BOOK!

Attachment Parenting is something that I beleive in strongly.

HOLD YOUR baby and never let them cry it out and CAT is right you can not spoil them!

My birth experiences were complicated but YOU will be fine and just stay calm. IT is very NATURAL to have BABIES and NOT something to fear or be worried over...our BODIES KNOW what to do and plus THE DOCTORS and NURSES will help you through it ALL!

YOU are going to be a GREAT MOM!
Jenifer said…
The best advice I have is invest in some baby gowns, they are great for sleeping no buttons to fuss with at night. I have also found that with a wiggle worm like Jaxon who absolutely refuses to lay down to get a diaper change t-shirts and pants instead of a onesie work great.
I've been the luckiest mom on the planet to have had two easy babies and so I can't offer up advice on how to deal with fussy ones, but I found that when Garrett was young he liked having me sing hymns to him. Jaxon also likes to be sung to.
As for breastfeeding, if you start to have any problems get in touch with a lactation consultant ASAP don't wait!! I did and only got as far as two weeks with Jaxon, which was a HUGE disappointment. Don't let it happen to you! But remember too that if something happens and you have to formula fee your baby will love you just the same.

Most Read