Good Movie - "The Young Victoria"
"The Young Victoria" image and more from here.Last night, after a long (yet fun) day, I crashed on the couch to watch a movie. Scott had lots of recommendations for me - all of which I'm sure were still good - but I insisted on something feminine/period/good. So he put on "The Young Victoria" for me.
I was surprised at how much I liked it. So good! I recommend this movie with at least 4 stars (or 2 thumbs up). Here is why:
First, it was a good, clean movie about how the longest reigning female monarch to date got her start.
Second, the filming, set design and costumes are beautiful. Yet, besides looking good, the filming was very clever with its story telling. There were many key players in the government, all with their own scheming and motives, which could have been extremely confusing. But thanks to some great filming, it wasn't.
Third, the actors were top notch - although I was surprised to see Emily Blunt (Devil Wears Prada, The Jane Austen Book Club) as Victoria, but she was great. Other actors of note include Paul Bettany (A Beautiful Mind, A Knight's Tale, The Da Vinci Code) as Lord Melbourne who was the Prime Minister when Victoria took the throne, Miranda Richardson (Rita Skeeter in HP, Phantom of the Opera) who plays Victoria scheming mother, and Jim Broadbent (Bridghet Jones Diary, Slughorn in HP, Moulin Rouge, Nicholas Nickelby and a million other movies) as Victoria's uncle King William.
My favorite character was - hands down - old King William. While you couldn't help but love Prince Albert for being one of the few true friend to Victoria, King William stood out even more. He was such a great, eccentric old man who was fed up with his family.
Anyway, I recommend watching it sometime. You'll have to let me know what you think. (especially you - Catherine!)

Comments
I've wanted to see Wives and Daughters and Daniel Deronda and I've seen bits of Cranford, which was good too. I need to get my Netflix back, asap. It's nice to hear from others that they are good.