I thought the smell was from moldy food...
under plates/dishes/etc that were piling up in my sink. This morning, while Soren was content playing with items on an old baking sheet, I attacked the sink. Only it was weird... there wasn't any food clogging the drain at the end of the dish pile. Then I opened the cabinet underneath the sink and got a stomach-turning whiff of something.
Half hidden under the extra garbage bags I pulled out earlier this week, was an innocent looking paper bag. All forgotten about - with a mousetrap and peanut butter inside. Now it seemed there was something else inside, too. I summed up all my courage to pull the garbage bags off and take a look. Only (gag) the paper bag was soaked wet with SOMETHING and I wouldn't touch it. I did use two fingers on the dry top to lift it half a centimeter - just to test the weight. Yup, definitely caught a rodent. My first thought was...
Leo! What good are you??? I mean, I know you're not a cat, but shouldn't your animal instincts care about dead things in our house? You're awful quick to tear into any poopy diapers left within reach. Come on!
Melissa! Did your nose not learn anything in Savannah???? How many dead mice/rats did you smell decomposing while you typed press releases and called reporters in your old building downtown? And you thought you had a refined sense of smell.
SCOTT?????? WHEN WILL YOU BE COMING BACK FROM CHURCH??? And PLEASE PLEASE help me clean it up. What will it take? Carmel Corn? Homemade ice cream? Peach Pie? Almond Rocca?
Soren - You're just perfect. Thanks for letting me have 5 minutes to discover this problem before it started smelling worse. And thank you for falling asleep again. And thank you for letting me take a 2 hour nap this morning.
Now I've cleaned out my sink. I've got my items under the sink soaking in hot bleachy water. Soren is taking a nap. And Leo and I are cuddling on the couch, waiting for poor Scott to come home.
Half hidden under the extra garbage bags I pulled out earlier this week, was an innocent looking paper bag. All forgotten about - with a mousetrap and peanut butter inside. Now it seemed there was something else inside, too. I summed up all my courage to pull the garbage bags off and take a look. Only (gag) the paper bag was soaked wet with SOMETHING and I wouldn't touch it. I did use two fingers on the dry top to lift it half a centimeter - just to test the weight. Yup, definitely caught a rodent. My first thought was...
Leo! What good are you??? I mean, I know you're not a cat, but shouldn't your animal instincts care about dead things in our house? You're awful quick to tear into any poopy diapers left within reach. Come on!
Melissa! Did your nose not learn anything in Savannah???? How many dead mice/rats did you smell decomposing while you typed press releases and called reporters in your old building downtown? And you thought you had a refined sense of smell.
SCOTT?????? WHEN WILL YOU BE COMING BACK FROM CHURCH??? And PLEASE PLEASE help me clean it up. What will it take? Carmel Corn? Homemade ice cream? Peach Pie? Almond Rocca?
Soren - You're just perfect. Thanks for letting me have 5 minutes to discover this problem before it started smelling worse. And thank you for falling asleep again. And thank you for letting me take a 2 hour nap this morning.
Now I've cleaned out my sink. I've got my items under the sink soaking in hot bleachy water. Soren is taking a nap. And Leo and I are cuddling on the couch, waiting for poor Scott to come home.
________________________________________________
Soren Update: Since my last post, Soren had several nasty diarrhea diapers for me to change in the middle of the night and early this morning. It is a 2 person job - Scott comforts (or attempts to comfort) while I try to cause as little pain as possible on the acid burns cause by diarrhea. I fed him about an hour ago and he hasn't had a problem since. Fingers crossed.

Comments
You are so brave doing that all on your own. I would freak/barf/scream/lose it! Haha!
You are such a good writer. I felt at first I was reading a novel and anticipating what was going to happen and what you were going to find.
If that were me, I would have screamed and hide somewhere until someone else took care of it! You are brave!
Oh, and to help with the burns on Soren's bum, the BEST stuff I found with C was the "Dr. Smith's Diaper ointment". It's hard to find. I think I finally found it at Walgreens. But it WORKS! If you can't find it let me know. Hope he feels better soon!