Leo's Adventure with chicken

Grocery tip #1: Never "only" put the refrigerated items away and leave the rest on the floor. Even if you think you've put all perishable foods away, there will be one stupid thing hidden under a loaf of bread.

Example of NOT doing this:
Shopped at Winco a week or so ago and left groceries out, because I hadn't set up my pantry yet (we just moved, remember?) Anyway, I thought I had put all the perishables away.

24 hours later... Scott, Soren and I returned from a friend's housewarming party. We walked into the living room an saw Leo standing over a package of raw, half-eaten chicken breasts. What he hadn't eaten, was drug onto my carpet. Originally, the container held 7 chicken breasts. Only 3 were left.

Remember Leo's adventure with a 1 lb. box of See's Chocolate last Christmas? He ate as much as he could and hid the rest all over the house. For the next 2 days, we found chocolate in the most random places - laundry baskets, in the couch, behind Christmas presents, in our beds. Funny with chocolate - NOT FUNNY with ROTTEN, RAW chicken.

Scott and I began our chicken hunt with Leo's most obvious hiding spot - his bed. Tucked neatly underneath was one raw chicken breast. I laughed, Scott fumed. Because we both knew that if he had hid one under his bed, then the next favorite hiding spot was.... under Scott's pillow in our bed.

Yes, Leo hid a raw chicken breast in our bed. YUCK! We washed everything immediately.

Then we couldn't find any more. It made me nervous, because I knew the package had held more. About 2 hours later, Leo sat next to me at the computer and heaved at least 1.5 chicken breast. It looked half-cooked from sitting in his stomach for so long. The smell was repulsive - and it lingered long after clean up.

I went to bed relieved, knowing we had accounted for the missing meat. About 1 a.m., Scott came to join me and saw leo digging in our laundry basket. Guess what he found? One more chicken breast.

Now my confidence was a little shaken. Were there more than I remembered? Was i going to find one moldy in a week? Even after cleaning, my house was smelling funky from the hidden raw chicken, doggy throw up, and a dead mouse. I was sure there was one more, but I have yet to find one and the smells are gone.

What's next, Leo? At least this time it didn't cost me $250 to the vet.

Comments

Jessica Marie said…
I couldn't stop laughing and my husband thinks this is too funny! I love your dog! So sweet! He's just like a kid too!
Elizabeth said…
oh, Mel!!! i laughed so hard, and wanted to throw up at the same time! what a story!
i'm posting a link to this on my family's blog so they can share in your misery as well! (and laugh while they're at it) keep us posted if you find any more surprises this week. :)
Heather said…
Oh I am so sorry just reading your story made me want to throw up. Yuck yuck yuck!
The Clifts said…
That is so sad and funny at the same time. I am so glad it wasn't me I think I would have thrown up. I'm glad you shared it though cause that made my day.
Salina said…
Well it's a good sign that you can find a "positive" in all that! But I also learned the hard way. I sent some bags down to the basement, and I guess I hadn't looked really good, and MONTHS later, found a couple of packages of cream cheese! Thankfully it wasn't raw meat, and they were still sealed, but it taught me to not be lazy, and just put away the groceries!
lindsey said…
And this is why Darren and I will never have a dog! :)

Good thing he is so cute!
Sunny Days said…
Haha! I love it! (Well not in the sense that I would ever wish it upon you or anyone else again, but you know what I mean ;-) Hope you got it all now!
Anonymous said…
I just swore off dogs forever, poor Scott (my Scott). I hope this is the end of your adventure with the chicken breasts. blech!
Bree said…
Siiiiick!! Oh you are such a good sport...I'd diiiie! And throw everything away rather than washing it!! Oh I hope that was all the chicken! And I will definitely think twice before I leave my groceries out after putting away "all" the perishables. :) So I'm SO excited to be home and get to hang out!! Let's plan some fun crafts and do more baking!! I'll be in touch once we get settled back in...hopefully it won't take too long! :)
Cairen said…
Oh that is really gross, but also pretty funny! What a smart little guy, hiding his treats for later!
Deanna said…
Leo is quite the character. Maybe he's preparing you for toddlerhood :) Hopefully Soren never does anything remotely close to that. I'm glad you aren't in the beginnings of pregnancy b/c those raw chicken smells probably would have put you over the edge. I hope you don't find anymore!
Paul and Susan said…
Leo keeps life lively!
Lisa Brown said…
So sorry it happened, but thanks for the laugh :). Sure hope you find the other chicken breast.
Natalie said…
Haha! That is too funny! Clever Leo, wants to hide them so he'll have a snack for later. Hope the smells don't linger too long...

Most Read