Happy Birthday to me!


In about 6 hours, I was born 26 years ago.

I told that to Soren earlier today and then told him he was born six months ago. That made me feel a little old.

My most memorable birthdays are as follows:

- My Teddy Bear themed birthday party (5 years?) when I tripped and fell into my kiddy pool. Horrible experience! My life flashed before my eyes and I thought I was doomed.

- My 11th bday when we had the best water balloon fight and played kick the can - two of my favorite childhood activities.

- My 13th bday (?) when only two friends showed up (Thanks Liz and Inga!), but we had a blast. That was also the birthday where my mom sent us on a scavenger hunt for my birthday cake. It was frosted to look like a hamburger and tasted delicious.

- My 14th bday when Sara Burt and I had a combined party (last time I'll ever do that! - Sara, you know I'm joking, kind of). Sara had her mom make us jell-o cakes - I hated Jello-O. Then mine got dropped and her dog ate 1/4th of it. Sara's mom just cut around it and served us anyway. (I was so disgusted then, but I'd totally do the same thing now.) We went swimming at Buck Lake- one of my favorite places by my hometown - only I felt left out. I was a little miserable that birthday, but it is one of my favorite's to joke about with Sara and other friends who were there now that time has passed.

- My 17th birthday when my mom threw me a big surprise party. It worked - I was truly surprised. ALL, literally ALL my good high school friends were there. Probably one of the happiest days of my life. (That sounds cheesy, but it was!)

- My 18th birthday. We were vacationing in San Diego and they let me choose what to do for the day. SO I chose going to Tijuana - my first time in Mexico. I learned how to barter (not very well), bought a cool bracelet, and was very happy to cross the border back to luxurious San Diego.

- My 20th birthday when I visited Scott in California. We were engaged and he took me to Sunset Beach near Santa Cruz with our friends Jeremy and Rachael. The year before, when we were only dating, we had also gone to that beach. Jeremy and Rachael quizzed me at Denny's while Scott was in the bathroom, trying to figure out how serious we were.

Comments

Good memory! Happy Birthday! Your 26 years YOUNG! HOpe you have a wonderful day.
The Clifts said…
Happy Birthday Mel! I feel bad that your birthday's haven't been the best. I don't know where I was on your 13th, but it was probably around the time that I was so shy I thought I was going to hypervenilate when I was in big groups. I think I remember you telling me that you thought I was a big snob when I first moved in because I wouldn't talk to anyone. :) Sadly, most people thought that. I guess I needed to break out of my shell more. I guess that's what being a mom has done for me. :)
Meg said…
Happy birthday! I don't remember any fun stories of your birthdays, but I do remember meeting you for the first time when we were really little in Oregon. You are one of my very first memories. :)
Diana said…
Happy Birthday, hopefully this one will be one of the good ones!!!
Elizabeth said…
hehe!! What grand memories! i will never forget that hamburger cake we found. did we find it in the bathtub??? i do remember it being close to 100% frosting! and the rest was food dye! :) blech! ahhh, good times. i also remember the whole shared birthday experience...and the dog eating the cake...no comment. but i do hope this birthday is a good one, or at least a memorable one! sure do love ya!
scott said…
Happy Birthday Melissa! You're the best wife ever!
Natalie said…
Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day, and that this birthday will make it to your top birthdays list next year!
Katie said…
Happy Birthday Melissa!
Jessica Marie said…
Happy Birthday! I remember Jamie and I went to one of your birthday parties when we were younger! I can't remember if you were 11 or 12 at the time! Good times! I remember Sara, Liz, Inga, Michelle, Telly, and so many others there. I remember your sister being so little too! I think I have a picture somewhere. I'll dig for it, scan it, then email it to ya! :)

Anyways, I hope you have a wonderful day! :)
Bree said…
LOVE that picture of you Mel--sooo cute!! Hope your birthday was great...I wish I was there to take you out to lunch... :( How bout in another month or so?! :)
Mom said…
It was interesting to hear which birthdays stood out in your mind and why. I hope you have fun giving Soren birthday parties as he grows up.
Lisa Brown said…
Happy birthday Melissa!! How awesome that you had a real surprise party!! I have always wanted one of those, but will probably never have one, especially since my husband is anti-party. I had to twist some arms to get my 30th bash :).

Most Read