Cleavers come to Savannah

My dad, mom, me and Scott in our square with the Mercer House behind.

My parents experienced their first taste of southern culture last week. It was so fun to have them around and gave Scott and I the opportunity to show off the area. We squeezed in as much southern food as we could, including a trip to Mrs. Wilkes Boardinghouse. Most people think of Paula Dean's restaurant when they come to Savannah, but Mrs. Wilkes is the real deal with delicious fried chicken and a whole table spread for Thanksgiving every time.

My parents on our carriage tour.

We got to be tourists right along with them, enjoying a horse-drawn carriage tour through the historic district. Scott and I have saved up a lot of questions on the area for the last year and a half, so the guide was kept talking. Although he couldn't tell me much about the group of houses built for specific women on Jones Street - I've been curious about the story behind those homes for a while.

Bob, our horse.

And here is Bob, our other tour guide. Bob didn't like to stop at red lights or stop signs and tried to keep moving. It was pretty funny. What a great name for a horse.

Leo and Scott taking my dad to the dog park.

And of course, the other purpose of my parent's visit was to introduce them to their first grandchild, Leo. My dad strongly dislikes most dogs, so we really tried hard to sell Leo. I mean, how can you not love a dog that doesn't smell, doesn't shed a ton, doesn't drool, doesn't bark, loves to cuddle, loves to play and can run 30 mph? Well, I don't think he would ever admit to "liking" leo, but they left on good terms. Leo even got his pictures taken at the dog park (which I don't have yet, sorry.)

Scott presenting me with my choice of deserts, all selected with my temperamental stomach in mind.

Remember how I mentioned we ate lots of good, local food? Well some nights I just couldn't handle going out. And I'm so sick of always thinking about food. So one night we put the boys in charge of food. They went down to the "ghetto" on Bull St. and braved the street side BBQ to pick up some great rib eye steaks. They were quite brave - I refused to go with them. Then they went to the grocery store and went all out, buying a bunch of food I might like, knowing I'd probably only stomach one or two things. They were amazing successful with there food choices. It was the best dinner and I was so happy to have someone else think of the food.

Family picture (minus Leo) on our doorstep.

Scott and I wanted to take advantage of having a photographer visit us, so we set aside time one evening for pictures. Here we are on the stairs for our building.
Me and my dad, waiting for Scott.

And here is a test picture - me and my dad caught making funny faces while we are bored waiting for Scott to decide which angle he likes best.

There are more pictures that my dad said he'll put on his blog. I'll make sure to mention when they are up, so you all can see more fun times. And my dad's blog is new. He isn't much of a writer, so instead it features lots of great pictures. My favorite is the video of my brother crashing his snowmobile and breaking his nose at Mt. Baker. Ouch! Sorry Ryan!

Comments

Michelle Claire said…
I just have to say that I love all the pics you posted! I even love the fact that you got a picture of Bob, the horse! :) (Did you know I love horses???) (I know you do, I just said that to be funny, but it doesn't translate very well in type...) Anyway, looks like you guys had a ton of fun, and yay for not having to think about food! In pregnancy, it seems like food is always something talked about.(whether you always want it and eat it, or want it but can't stomach it, or you realize just how much food there is that you come into contact with everyday and it makes you totally sick.)I'm glad they were able to come up with some things that you liked. Okay, and last thing, no, second to last thing... yes, I'm still hunting for a home so any help will always be appreciated, and lastly, I love the picture of you and Scott. You guys are so cute!!!
Michelle Claire said…
Okay, I think I need to call you more often... so I don't leave novels everytime I want to comment. :)
heidi said…
great pics!!! we really miss eating in our lovely savannah!
Lisa Brown said…
What a great time! And Mrs. Wilkes is one I have always wanted to try, but I heard it is very hard to get in. You will have to give me tips :).
Bree said…
Ohhh! I loved seeing pics of your parents! I love them! Sounds like you got to do lots of fun stuff!! Seriously, Savannah sounds like the coolest place!! I'm sad I didn't get to visit...well, I guess you haven't moved yet, huh!! :) I'm glad you are feeling better these days...I remember dreaming of what foods I would eat once I could keep them down, and I had my "I haven't puked in this many days" record. haha. Isn't pregnancy funny/crazy/tiring/awful/
exciting/amazing....the list could go on! Anyway, now I feel like your friend who mentioned needing to call more so I don't leave such long comments! Haha! Love ya Mel!
Ambyr said…
Great recap! I'm so glad your parents made it out there! We just love you all! Your belly is the cutest even if it is parsnickety. xo

Most Read