What I've really been doing...


Now that you know I'm pregnant, I hope you'll forgive my poor blog posting for the last couple months. I have not been feeling well and it has been like pulling teeth to do anything beyond going to work, walking home, and sitting on my couch. But here are some fun things you missed:

(Not for the faint of heart)
1. My first morning-sickness spew. I'd been feeling awful for a while, but counted myself lucky for never actually throwing up. But then I ate some cheese nips - it all went downhill from there. I finished the bag and walked to my car, heading to an interview with the local newspaper. Right as I opened the car door, I shockingly realized I had to throw up. And then did so in the parking lot, managing to hit my feet and the hem of my pants. Right afterwards, I looked up to make sure no one saw. The coast was clear. I ducked my head again for a second round and then saw a co-worker coming by. I felt so stupid, but warned him not to look. Then I jumped in my car and drove home. (i haven't talked with him since then, so who knows what he thinks). My clothes (and shoes) were in no shape to go anywhere, so I canceled the appointment.

That was the first and most memorable time. I have since thrown up only in toilets, although at varying locations.

2. My first trip to the dentist as a pregnant woman. In May, I finally got myself to the dentist for the first time in almost two years. I had a great dentist in California, which was the last time I went. It has taken me a little while to find someone here. So *surprise* *surprise,* my gums were in bad shape. They had to do some deep cleaning, which was a four step process involving different types of sharp objects digging into my gums, a water pick that felt and sounded like a drill, and a machine they referred to as a sand blaster(or something like that). Normally, this would not be a big deal because they give you pain killer. Yet I am pregnant and they could give me NO numbing gel or ANYTHING to help with the pain. It was over an hour of them digging into my mouth. I think I left nail marks in the armrest from gripping the chair so hard. And the sad thing is, I brought it all on myself by waiting so long to go to the dentist. Let that be a lesson for others who would make the same mistake! I have to go back again in September. In the mean time, I'm trying to brush and floss at least twice a day like a good girl and I got my own water pick. Yet, it doesn't do me any good when brushing my teeth makes me throw up, which is the case 50 percent of the time.

3. Bursting a blood vessel in my right eyeball. On Monday, I found myself running to the toilet in the middle of breakfast. Apparently, I threw up too hard and burst a blood vessel in my right eye. (Has anyone else ever done that?) I looked in the mirror to see a little red dot, which I was okay with since I figured it would go away soon. But each day I wake up and the spot has grown. At this rate, I'm afraid of waking up in a day or two with a Vampire eye. I've done a little internet research and it should clear up in 2 weeks. I'm just not comfortable with how it keeps spreading. I would like for it to stop and go away before people at work start noticing. Now I can kind of hide it by wearing my glasses. If you 'd like to see a picture of my fear, go here.

Comments

Powell Family said…
Ouch! I feel your pain although I didn't break any blood vessels from throwing up, I did however manage to through up every couple of days. Don't worry, that part wears off and it gets so much better!
Michelle Claire said…
They didn't give you any local numbing relief??? Nothing at all? How wierd... I'm trying to remember if I've had to do that... maybe I have too. Hmmm... I guess I haven't had any major work done while I've been pregnant so I haven't had to worry about it. That sounds rough Mel! You poor thing! Oh and I checked out the picture of the eye thing... yikes. :)
Michelle Claire said…
Oh, and brushing my teeth made me sick too... so I totally hear you there. I remember my dentist (father-in-law) tell me to still brush and everything, and I remember thinking, okay, I'll try... but no promises. It just made me so sick to even think about it.
Andrea Grover said…
The eyeball thing ... yes. Seth had that happen while on his mission. He had kidney stones, and apparently some people throw up just because they're in so much pain. No fun.
Micah said…
Oh Dear! Well, I hope things get better from here for you.
Jana said…
I haven't had a blood vessel burst but I did get a bloody nose once while throwing up. Pregnancy wrecks my teeth. The joys of preganacy.
The Patton's said…
i totally understand about the "Move" thing(Mom).
i love your post about the barfing on your shoes and pants and then making sure nobody saw that totally brings back memories. just know it happens all the time and your not the only one.
Tam said…
HI and Congrats on the great news! I hoped over from CATS blog!

I have a comment about the Blood Vessel thing.

I popped the blood vessels in both eyes giving birth to my first child! It totally freaked me out but it did clear up. My poor MOM had a heart attack when she saw my eyes...I mean they looked really bad. The Doctors all said that some people can pop them vomiting and pushing during birth! Anyway just wanted to share. Have a great weekend
Lisa Brown said…
Oh, I so feel your pain, and although I have not burst a blood vessel while puking, I have thrown up so hard it made me pee my pants - so embarassing. What we do to get children into this world :).

Your first story reminded me of when I had to quickly pull into a parkinglot so I wouldn't throw up in the car. I opened the door just in time, and when I looked up, a cop was sitting in the car next to me watching it all. He was nice about it when he found out I was pregnant.

Wish I could help you feel better. Hopefully you will feel better soon, like normal people. Just don't follow in my footsteps :).

Most Read