Gallery talks

An Ansel Adams photograph of the Snake River and Tetons.

Scott and I went to a gallery talk on Ansel Adams at our local museum today. The exhibition was a great collection of his work - from his first portfolio of prints he sold at age 23 to more contemporary photographs (like the one above). The man giving the talk worked as a gallery assistant for Adams and had a lot of great insight into his process, personality and life. It was a good time. I've always like Adams' pictures, but this gave me a greater appreciation for how detailed and time consuming it is to make such beautiful prints.

Yeondoo Jung's Location #12 - found here.

I guess today was a pretty artsy day for me, because earlier I sat in on an interview with emerging Korean artist Yeondoo Jung. He's a character - a fan of Elvis, Singing in the Rain and Harry Potter. He is a photographer, but not very traditional- he uses his sculpting background to build sets and design cinematic lighting for all his photographs AND he doesn't digitally manipulate. Which I find impressive because of the vibrant colors and light in his images. His work is quite striking - I'm a fan. I'm looking forward to his exhibition in Savannah that opens this week.

Phew... I'm sounding too much like an advertisement - But it was all very inspiring. Now if only I had that talent... Well, I have other talents and I'll stick with those. Like walking my dog - I'm really really good at walking my dog.

Comments

Jessica Marie said…
Sounds really neat! I guess you had to be there to see it! These pictures are amazing, especially the snake river. I sure wish I could do that!
Bree said…
I love that first picture--beautiful! The other one is pretty interesting too. What a funny guy. Oh yeah, how do you make captions for your pics?
Melissa said…
Bree - I make the captions by highlighting the text, choosing the "smallest" size from the tool bar and then select "center" from the tool bar. Does that make sense?

Most Read