Quilting, day 1

Obviously I'm excited about my quilting class - why else would I post all these pictures after my first lesson. Okay, so the good news is my class has a lot of friendly, older ladies. It would have been shocking to see someone my own age - and they were probably surprised to see me. Despite the age gap, they are all as new to this as I am.

At first, I was disappointed because of the quilt we're making - it's just not my style. I'm sure several of you think it is cute, but I'd rather make something else. But then my teacher, Martia, explained how this quilt teachs you a variety of techniques and forces you to really think out your color scheme because of the many elements.

We had the whole store to ourselves for fabric shopping, which was a blast. Martia had us pick our favorite fabric and then build around it. The catch was that it had to have more than 2 colors in it. I started out with the middle fabric in the picture above, chose my two solids for other major parts and then filled in the rest with the below:

Yes, that is a lot of different fabrics - about nine to be exact. And they will all find a home in my new quilt. Next week we start piecing and sewing. Wish me luck!

Comments

Anonymous said…
it is fun to see the material you found and to see what the quilt will look like. i like your materials, i think it is going to look cute. i'll have to try and show grandma online.
kaolee said…
Quilting sounds like fun. I hope that you enjoy the class!
Jana said…
That's cool. Its great to learn the right way to do it. I'm taking a quilting class too.

Most Read