Oh, so loyal

Oh, so loyal...
You may be wondering why I posted a picture of my good ol' sewing machine on my cluttered craft table for all to see. Well, it is in honor of two things - first, tomorrow is my first quilting class ever and second, I'm celebrating the woman who taught me to sew.

When I was about nine, my parents bought me a pink sewing machine from Toys R Us. I loved it! But soon became frustrated, because all I could do was thread the needle and sew lines up and down my fabric. My mom saw I was willing to learn, so spoke with a friend of hers from our ward - Peggy B.- who began giving me lessons a few months/years (a little unsure of the timeline here) later. They had an exchange - my mom taught Peggy's daughter Heather the piano and I had sewing lessons. I was upgraded from the pink machine to the one you see above. It may be pretty basic, but it sure is loyal, having lasted me these last 10+ years.

Peggy taught me how to make ties, kulots shorts (sp?), bags, etc... I can't remember when I stopped or why, but I sure am grateful for the time she took to share those lessons with me. Now when I have an interest in being crafty, I have a foundation to fall back on.

Now why did I bring this up - well, I'm preparing for my new class tomorrow and I am shocked this machine still works, especially after being in storage all last year. It got me a little reminiscent. But what also brought this to mind is that I just had a message from Heather B. on my blog! It was so great to hear from her and to visit her blog. She has two adorable little kids - quite a good lookin' family. And my favorite part is seeing pictures from my hometown with familiar faces - since I still get a little homesick way out here in the south.

But it helps that I'm making some great friends, have a loving husband, and man's best friend at my side night and day. Speak of the devil - here are a couple cute Leo pictures from today.

We took Leo to the dog park today and he was a little overwhelmed. The
poor guy is fast enough to attract big dogs, but not fast enough (or confidant enough) to out run them yet. He kind of likes being there, but is usually nervous the whole time. So we came home later on and he voluntarily climbed in his crate to sleep. Not only was that amazing, but he stayed there the whole time we ate - not begging once! That's how you know he must be exhausted!

He's dog gone tired.

Comments

Lisa Brown said…
dmjHow awesome that you are taking a quilting class! I'll have to show you the projects I am working on sometime :).
Michelle Claire said…
I have a sewing machine... and I never use it. You are awesome! I really need to get mine out now and see how mine has fared over the past couple of years...
Anonymous said…
i really enjoyed reading your entry and reminicing with you. i was such a poor sewer and had lot's of negative experiences, but i wanted to make sure you had a chance to see if it was something you would enjoy. i'm so glad peggy was able to help us and give you a positive experience and some confidence. way to go melissa!

Most Read