Family history service

Aren't these little boys cute? Last year, Scott's brother scanned all the old family photos his mom and grandmother had. I've been thinking a lot about family history lately - another effect of missing family while living across the country - and was reminded of all these pictures we have stored on the computer.

My mom sent me a link to an article in the Deseret News talking about a new project anyone can work on to make more records accessible online. The LDS Church has collected genealogy records — more than 5 billion documents on 2 1/2 million rolls of microfilm and 1 1/2 million microfiche — are scanned.

ANOTHER REVOLUTION IN GENEALOGY
When Derek Dobson speaks to LDS seminary classes, he talks revolution.
FULL STORY: http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/1%2C1249%2C660205784%2C00.html

According to the article:
"The U.S. Library of Congress contains 29 million books, and the LDS Church's records hold 132 times that much data. They don't want to guess how many billions of names are on those 5 billion documents. "

"More than 25,000 volunteers are currently at work indexing the records. Running predicts there will be 100,000 volunteers by the end of this year and many hundreds of thousands in the years to come."

So anyone who wants to spend 20-30 minutes indexing names can visit www.familysearchindexing.org They have two people from different areas working on the same page, so if there are any discrepancies, a professional can step in and review the information.

I think this is a great service opportunity and a way to help people track their ancestors, which I believe to be important. I haven't tried it yet, but I'll let you know how it works later this week if I get a chance.

One more thing about family history - I just love learning about my ancestors! My grandpa shared with me this summer that his grandma had long white hair and made the best pulled taffy. Learning little details about my past seem to give me a stronger sense of being.

Comments

Most Read