Update on my postpartum depression/anxiety

This is me a couple weeks ago - probably when I was the most confused, tired and stressed. Just this last week or so, I have been feeling a lot better. I'm going to try and be pretty honest in this post. It is hard to talk about such a personal subject, but that is exactly why I am sharing. I believe more families should talk about their experiences during the postpartum period.

Me, my doctor and my husband are pretty positive that I'm dealing with some postpartum depression and DEFINITELY anxiety. The anxiety, as mentioned in my last post, is mainly centered around sleep.

Apparently, there are a bunch of different types of anxiety. Mine seems to fall under two categories - Worry (the "what if_______"s are out of control) and Compulsion (doing the same thing the same way out of fear I won't sleep if I don't).

Luckily, I have an awesome family doctor who has been extremely responsive to my concerns. I've been taking some medicine that is starting to help me during the day, but my sleep is still an issue. So I'll be visiting a councilor next week. I actually tried to visit one this week, but it didn't go very well. Her best suggestions were to put lavender on my pillow and do more deep breathing before bed. I tried not to roll my eyes. 

Things that help my anxiety (along with meds):
- Avoiding other mom's with newborn babies (Sorry to my friends who just had babies. It makes me too sad to see others able to nurse and not have to deal with ppd/a.)

- Switching from nursing to bottle feeding (Whole load of stress gone and now I can eat normal food again, since Lucas was sensitive to dairy).

- Living in the moment when I am with my boys (Soren and Lucas bring me so much joy and I can forget about most my worries when we play games or sing lullabies)

- Walking, walking, walking

- Soaking up the sun (I've also been taking extra vitamin D along with my prenatal vitamins)

- Music - singing lullabies and playing my violin

- Researching (but I've found books more helpful than the internet)

- Verbalizing my daily blessings (I don't usually realize how many I have until Scott asks me what I did during the day. Then I realize all these little things that added up.)

- Blessings 


- Journal writing before bed


- Slowing down. (I've had to accept my messy house. When I feel myself speeding up to finish a task or get something done, I stop and breath. Once I get going, the anxiety is more likely to be triggered).

- Letting go (Accepting that I'm not going to be the perfect mom. I can't do it all and what worked for Soren as a baby may not work for Lucas. However, I can love my boys more than anyone else)


- Talking to people who know (My mom and other family members, along with a few friends, have been so comforting and helpful.)

Anyway, those are just a few ways I am coping. The biggest thing has been my medicine. I don't feel drugged or weird on it - it helps me feel myself again. Now my main issue is learning how to sleep on my own without xanax or ambien. Doctor's orders are to start my day instead of letting the day start me. I have to pick a wake up time. He says the first thing I do is put on my shoes and go for a 15-20 minute walk. He says I'll feel so drugged and slow at first, but it should be as vigorous as I can make it. This should help reset my biological clock. Then I have to slow down more in the evening - which is hard with the weather being so perfect right before bed. But I'll do anything to get my life back to normal again. Who wouldn't?

Books on Anxiety that I've found helpful:
  • "Yoga for Anxiety"
  • "The Mother-to-Mother Postpartum Depression Support Book"
  • "The Pregnancy and Postpartum Anxiety Work Book"

Feel free to share any books you've found helpful.

Comments

Jenifer said…
I'm proud of you for being able to talk about this. I know that many of any anxiety issues went away when I switched to bottles with the boys rather than stress myself out to the point of wanting to just walk away. I totally get the nursing issue and the feelings it brings when others don't have those problems. Just know we all love you and I'm happy to hear you are doing better!
ally said…
You were so amazing guiding me through the first couple of months- I'm hoping to remind you of that positive energy. This is not an easy stage, and I too suffered at the thought and pressures of nursing... But it fades away as your little one grows healthy, happy.
No sleep is impossible! Hang in there. This is temporary, a normal sleep pattern will happen, stick with it, enjoy the sunshine when it's up! He'll come around. :)
ally said…
And call me if you need to talk!!!
Paul and Susan said…
It's good you notice the things that are helpful to you. It is great you are educating yourself and other people on this subject and are willing to talk about something that doesn't always get discussed out in the open.
First ill comment on the comments you made on my blog. The only reason I thought to do edemame is because I remembered you fed it to Soren so thanks! Also, love the idea about always being the queen when you outnumbered with boys!
Now back to your blog... Love the picture of you and Lucas! SOOO cute! I'm sure he looks a lot bigger now. I am glad you are finding things that help with your ppd and anxiety! Perfecting time for the walks too because now Rexburg has good weather! Can you imagine trying to do that in the winter! eh!! Luv ya!
Diana said…
So I haven't had to deal with this yet but you seem like you are doing amazingly well (desipte the lavendar and deep breathing ideas...I hope you did roll your eyes!). All I can say is go you and I'm glad you are sharing. I am a firm believer in sharing true feelings so I hope you can gain support from others going through the same thing! I'm praying for you though! Good luck, your boys are BEAUTIFUL!
Sis. Stokes said…
Hey there. I too take walks in the morning. Ours are somewhere around 0900-ish (it depends on how quickly I can get clean diapers on the boys and cereal in their stomachs). We'd love to walk with you if you'd like some company. :-) I was also wondering, would it be more or less stressful if someone could come help you with the things you need to get done? I could come do your dishes or fold some laundry or something once TK is home. Let me know.
Deanna said…
So glad you're feeling better! Noticing what helps you and then focusing on doing those things makes a world of difference. I agree that it's important to talk about not only the good, but also the difficult. That is one of the main reasons I struggled with PPD is b/c everyone told me having a baby is so awesome (which it is to a point) but, no one really talked about how hard it is. I had unrealistic expectations. Talking about difficult things is NOT complaining. It is life. Opposition in all things. We can't know the sweet unless we've tasted the bitter. I hope you have a good visit with your counselor and you can find more things to help with your sleep.
shannen said…
You are so totally not alone. After Riley, I had what I believe now to be some pretty severe PPD. Mine went untreated because in my 6 week follow-up visit the only question I was asked was "are you depressed?". I just thought I was a bad mom/person who was stressed about major nursing issues. I didn't start feeling relief until about 4-6 months in when an incredible pediatrician gave me permission (aka forced me in a loving way) to give up the idea of nursing exclusively and to give my baby a bottle without guilt. Those well-meaning "nipple nazis" really had screwed with my already screwed head. Anyway, her birth also triggered anxiety that, unfortunately, is still an issue today, 10 years later, though a lot more manageable. I have had anxiety attacks though that are so bad I have had to make a couple of trips to the ER. I finally have some Xanax and that is my go-to lifesaver when it starts to flare up.

Kudos to you for talking about this issue because I think it's a bigger problem than a lot of people realize. No one wants to talk about it. Especially after a baby, you feel so alone and isolated and like something is wrong with you when you're not as happy as you "should" be. Truth is that hormones are incredibly powerful forces and pregnancy really throws everything out of whack. It's not just your body that will never be quite the same again. Coupled with lack of sleep and everything else that a new bundle of joy brings, it's a recipe for trouble. It sounds like you're on the right path to getting back to feeling like yourself again and I'm so happy for you that you have figured it out and are getting the support you need. Lots of love to you and your sweet family!
wagstaffers said…
Wow Melissa. Way to go being so proactive instead of letting ppd and anxiety grab you, you've grabbed it. I'm very impressed. I wish these things didn't happen to us. I wish I could be happy for other women when they say they are pregnant again. instead I just feel overwhelmed and wonder if I will ever be able to have another. Whew. I wish I had something wise to say like some of these other women, but nay. Send me an email if you get the chance, I keep you on my mind and hope you are doing good.
Heather said…
Hey Melissa,

So, I hardly ever comment on blogs, but I have to add my "you are not alone" two cents. After my 2nd baby I developed TERRIBLE anxiety that hasn't really gone away. I was on medication (daily - and the good stuff for immediate "I'm gonna die issue") for four years. Even having my 3rd didn't clear it up. I was hoping another pregnancy would reset my "clock" - but it didn't. After four years, I found that I can manage without daily meds if I exercise every morning, hard, for an hour. The days I miss, I have a hard time coping with simple problems and anxiety provoking issues. My anxiety focuses around talking to people on the phone. Stupid, makes no sense, but I'll have a total breakdown if I have to call a stranger on a bad day. So, I guess what I'm saying is, I hear you. There are more of us out there than you think. PPD is often catagorized around depressive symptoms, but the anxiolytic ones can be just horrible. Hang in there, take those meds and let them get in your system, and keep with the steps you are taking to slow down and let go. Glad you have a good MD - they make all the difference in the world. It'll all level out eventually, either on your own or with the use of those wonderful meds, which I for one believe God mercifully inspired people to discover in order to give us relief. Be patient with your body and yourself.
Lisa Brown said…
I am so sorry that you have been going through this Melissa! Post Pardom depression is a very real and scary thing. I had it after both of my babies. One of my sister-in-laws had to be hospitalized after each pregnancy because of it. I am so glad you got help and are doing better.

Most Read