The Binky is Broken

Soren and I at Smith Park. Photo taken by my cute niece Kate, who also 
took lots of pictures of the grass and crows for me. 

First of all, thank you dear friends and family for all your kind words and support on my last couple of posts. It means so much to read your comments, emails and text messages.

Today I have felt normal and good, yesterday I felt anxious all day and who knows how I will feel tomorrow.

Right now, both boys are sleeping. While I have a moment, I want to share about Soren's poor, broken binky :(

Scott and I have debated which to tackle first with Soren - breaking the binky habit, potty training, or moving to a big boy bed. Binky "seems" the easiest, so it won.

The original plan was to only let him have it in his bed. However, I kept forgetting the plan until he was already running around with it in his mouth after naps. Whatever.

Then my hand was forced to do something this weekend. He has lost almost all of his pacifiers, but one. His remaining binky is more of a chew toy than anything. There are bite marks on each side of the nipple that have almost reached each other in the middle. 

I was getting Soren ready for bed Saturday night when it occured to me that he might chew the top off in his sleep. What if he swallowed it? What if he choked? So I refused to give him his binky for bed and told him I couldn't find it.

I could hear him play in his bed for at least an hour - which is unusual for him. He called out to me for it a couple times. So I decided to cut off the top and tell him it was broken.

All that is left of the nipple is a little stub. I still give it to him for bedtime and naps. He tells me "Iz boh-ken," puts it in his mouth, spits it out and then ignores it.

Have we beaten the binky habit? We'll see. The true test is if he will leave Lucas' pacifiers alone. If so, then one down and two left for now - potty training and big boy beds.

And now here are some cute pictures of Lucas, taken in the end of June:




Have I mentioned what a great guy he is? Lucas has become the sweetest, most content baby now. We love having him in our family and kissing his chubby, little cheeks.

Comments

Ally said…
Wow, it seems like Soren handled the pacifier situation quite well. I tried doing that with Aidan and he got so upset that he threw his books on the floor. So we may have to a nice "pac" (pronounced like pass) funeral where he gets to say goodbye.

Still working on the potty training, he's not a fan of the toilet nor his underwear.
Deanna said…
Oh my! He sure is a cutie!
Brilliant idea to cut the nipple off the binky! Soren and Lucas are so cute! GOod luck on the potty training and big boy bed!
So glad for the update on how you are doing. You are on my mind a lot!

Great work with the Binky.... that is the only way we could get rid of Passie with T. I think I was more sad about it than him!

Lucas has the most precious face! Sweet little guy!
Paul and Susan said…
Wow, that is an amazing accomplishment with Soren and his binkie. I thought that would be a really tough thing for him to give up. It is great to see pictures of Lucas and how he is growing and changing!

Most Read