Trouble in 3s...or more....


5 p.m. Saturday

A casual family outing to CAL Ranch for chicken-viewing and gardening supplies turns explosive when Soren decides his parents ruin all his fun.

After listening to his screaming and crying every two minutes - caused by various reasons like not letting him touch an ax, walk down his own aisle, or put garbage in his mouth - I was d-o-n-e. Scott tried to lessen the blow of leaving by carrying Soren on his shoulders.

As we were about to walk out the door, we realized one of us was going to have to take away a dog toy he was holding - since we weren't purchasing it. As soon as Scott took it, Soren screamed and collapsed - dropping his body weight straight down over Scott's back. He just hung there and screamed at the top of his lungs, not even caring that he was upside down. I've never walked out of a store so fast in my life.

5 p.m. Sunday

Soren needed a bath and I needed a break. Bath time works well for both of us, because I can sit and catch my breath for 20 minutes while watching him splash around. All was well until he got out of the tub. He ran off - butt naked - and had not interest in wearing a diaper. After the day/week that I've had with him, I finally gave up. So what? Let the kid run naked for 20 minutes. I'd already changed 3 stinky diapers. What's the worse thing that could happen? Oh poor me...

About 10 minutes later, I peaked on him playing in his bedroom. He was leaned over something on the ground. When I walked into the room he looked at me and started jabbering and pointing back at ......a pile of poop on my carpet! I shouted for back up (Scott) and then noticed Soren had walked in the poop and there were little poopy footprints all over the room. He then sat on a pillow and wiped more poop on the pillow. I couldn't get him to stand still long enough to wipe off his legs and bum. Oh he was mad at me! He screamed, arched his back and finally collapsed.

Later that night, I found I'd missed a spot between his toes. Yuck!


4 p.m. Monday
The above picture was taken as soon as we came home from the Monday at 4 p.m. event. (Dear Lilly, thanks for letting Soren borrow your sweater after he got soaked).

We were at the park near our home today and it has a really nice, large pond with fish and ducks. Soren had never been down by the water before. I was standing right next to him and turned my head for 2 seconds.When I turned back, he was WALKING INTO THE WATER! The drop off was steep and fast. By the time I reached my arms out to him, he had fallen in face first. I lunged in up to my knees and grabbed him, but not before he had breathed in a lot of water. He came up sputtering and mad. We were both soaked and it is only 50F outside. Luckily, my friend had some blankets. She drove us back home and once I saw Scott I could laugh about it - but before that I was pretty shocked.

Interesting side note about this incident - when I was Soren's age I fell into a fish pond. Soren and I seem to have a lot in common already, now we can add falling into ponds to the list.

Three days, three fun stories, three baths in 24 hours. Fun times!

Comments

Natalie said…
Whew! You deserve some kind of award, or vacation, or at least a night of peace and quiet.
Jenifer said…
Reminds me of Jaxon, he has a knack for getting into things he shouldn't.
Sunday morning Tim and I attempt to sleep in, Jaxon gets up at 7am crawls into bed with me but won't stop wiggling. I take him into the living room and have him watch cartoons. I go back to bed. 45 mins later I check on him. He's naked. put a clean diaper on him and some pants. I change the show he's watching and now Garrett is up. 1 hour later. Jaxon is naked covered in chocolate (sauce I had left out the night before) and it smells like poop in the living room. Sure enough he pooped on the floor. While I went to get paper towels to pick it up he pees on the chair he was standing on to get to the chocolate. Groan.
And today when I got on the treadmill, first thing he does is grab a chair and try to get a knife out of the block. Then he went for some trash out of the trash can.
Jamie Anderson said…
HOLY COW!! Not only do we need a craft day but maybe we should do a movie night as well! Just me and you no babies or husbands!!
Diana said…
Oh man, I couldn't stop laughing at the first and second story and then got all scared at the last one. Ella was in the bath and put her head down too far and breathed in some water, she totally freaked, it was so scary.
Seriously though, I agree with the first comment, you deserve an award and a DEFINITE night out!!!
Lisa Brown said…
Oh Melissa, so funny! You used to watch me with Derek in primary when he was Soren's age, so you know that I feel your pain :).
The Clifts said…
What a crazy few days. I wish I had more fun stories to tell without having to actually experience them. :)
Bree said…
Ohhhhh Myyyyy Goshhh!!! AHHHHH! I would have freaked out!! What a weekend! Hopefully he got it out of his system and will just be a little angel for the rest of the summer!!! I agree with Natalie--you deserve an award or vacation!! And I think I do too (hahaha) so let's plan a girls' night when I get back!
Paul and Susan said…
It looks like you are going to have lots of adventures with Soren!
Katie said…
You poor thing... this age must be SO hard

Most Read