This boy is gonna need a new seat and stroller

Before: Around 3 months

Now: Six months on July 2nd.

Soren's head is at the top of his car seat and his feet extend past the bottom. Time for an upgrade! I'm looking at combination car seats (because he still needs to face backwards for another 6 months). Does anyone have a favorite they'd like to recommend? Or one they would like to warn me about? I've been researching on consumer reports and other sites, but there are so many options.

Also, I need to buy a stroller now. I'd like to buy a cheap, light-weight for storing in the car and a jogging stroller for walking (maybe some jogging) with Leo. Recommendations?

Comments

Anonymous said…
He's huge! We stuffed Scott in his until 9 months and then switched him to front facing (bad mommy I know).
As far as recommendations, I don't really have any, sorry. I haven't ever had to make that decision since all my stuff has been hand me down and Scott's seat he's in now is forward facing only. Good luck!
Diana said…
This is funny because I was just talking to my sister-in-law about this yesterday. She did a lot of research online and talking to people. I guess the top rated combo seat is a Britax one but it is very expensive and lacks some perks that the other ones have. The second rated is an Evenflo one that my SIL got and said about 5 of her friends have. They all LOVE it! It's reasonably priced and it has stuff like cup holders, reclining ability, etc. that the Britax doesn't have. Anyway, I think that I am going to go with that one (sorry I don't have the model name or anything), hopefully her advice is good! I love your posts because I always get to see what I should be expecting in a month or so!
Restless Mama said…
Hey Mel! The Britax Marathon is a good one but not so easy to install...good news is that once it's installed you're good to go! Check out Safety 1st convertible car seats too, they're nice on the eyes, safe, and easy to install.
As far as strollers go, try Craigslist...they usually have great deals on jogging strollers. If you can find a B.O.B with a fixed wheel then you should be all set. I have Graco jogging stroller that I bought off a military family (along with my hiking carrier) it's not pretty, but it gets the job done. Easy to travel with, fold and unfold, and the wheel is fixed. Make sure to get a fixed front wheel because otherwise they're dangerous.
Good luck m'dear!
P.S. That's one cute baby! I'm so impressed with how he's growing.
Salina said…
I know NOTHING about jogging strollers, but I do love my Alpha Omega car seat. It works as an infant rear-facing and up to 80 pounds for a toddler booster. The thing I LOVE about it, is I don't have to take it out to move the straps up to readjust for growth. It has a lever at the top of the seat that moves the straps quite easily. Now keep in mind I bought mine almost 2 years ago, and things may be different now, but at the time it was the only seat with the adjustable straps like that. The ONLY thing I don't like is the padding in the seat isn't quite as cushy as the Britax, but she doesn't really stay in the seat that long (willingly anyway!). Hope the info helps.
Bree said…
Holy cow!!! He is getting SO big!! (And even cuter!! :)) Avri's carseat is an Evenflo something or other and can be used rear-facing and then forward. It's been a good one...no complaints. Our stroller is pretty easy to use/store and is a Combi. Our jogging stroller is also a bike trailer and we LOOOOVE it, but I have no idea what "brand"...it's in our garage at home. Sniff sniff. :) Good luck! :)
chereden said…
We liked the Graco carseat. I didn't like the straps on the Evenflo. BUT, when Colin went to the booster style, we prefer the Evenflo to the Graco. I think you'll have to test him out in the store, and see which one you're both comfortable with. My sister had the Britax Marathon, and loved it... but it is more expensive. For strollers, she and I both love our Maclaren Volo. They're super lightweight and sturdy. Ours even has a shoulder strap on it for easy carry when it's folded up. Not sure what the newest version offers. It's a bit over $100, but we did use ours for a long time, and I plan to use it again for our next one. For jogging strollers, I bought the least expensive one... by InStep. Mostly because I knew I wouldn't be dedicated enough to truly use it or put wear and tear on it. We kept it in our garage. I hear the BOB stroller is really good, but it's $300+. Also research the kind that could be a jogging stroller/bike trailer. It's like covered carriage you can push or pull. I've seen one that can even be attached at your waist to let you pull it on a jog/hike.
max schaffner said…
vince has the britax marathon car seat in "cow-moo-flage" and i love it. it faced backwards in the jeep wonderfully, and didn't strain his neck or anything weird. it's easy to install, and clean (a huge plus for any parent). we still use it today and he's getting ready to turn 3 (can you believe it?)!! it was a wonderful investment.

Most Read