brushing up on my old picture takin' skills.

There is more than one photographer in this family, but even I forget it sometimes. (although this one is a little more of an amateur. No fancy degrees.)

I paid for school by working as the Photo Editor for the college newspaper. In high school one of my summer jobs was at the Picture People (yes, I wore that silly hat). And ever since I was 5, I've helped my dad with his camera equipment and accompanied him on many a photo safari.

But there are so many other things I do these days, that my camera is not used for more than snapshots of Soren (and Leo).

A couple weeks ago, my cousin Logan and his wife asked if we could take pictures of their son.

When they asked us, I knew Scott had been busy, so I jumped at the opportunity. (I am editing the photos now and having fun seeing what turned out. I hope they don't mind me sharing a few pictures, but he is so darn cute!)

Its been awhile, but I really enjoy photographing kids at this age. Mainly because it reminds me of the photojournalism I did in college. That may sound like an odd comparison, but it isn't. Basically, kids this young move too fast for formal posing. As the photographer, you place them in a situation where they can relax and play. As a result, everything is a candid shot - my favorite type of portrait.


Scott and I watched an excellent documentary on a portrait photographer last week. I wish I could remember where Scott found it, so I could share the link. The photographer shared some great tips about taking the "perfect" portrait. I can't remember word for word, but what sunk in was:

1. Choose a unique, clean background.

2. Capture personality by placing subjects in a setting where they can act natural.

3. Shoot outdoors during the best light (1 hour before the sun goes down or on a cloudy day)


For this shoot, it was a rainy day so we rescheduled from the evening to the afternoon. We met at a park nearby where I knew there would be several nice backgrounds. There was wild flowers and ducks by a pond, a wooden bridge over a creek, lots of green grass, and play equipment. Its nice to have a variety - especially if one location isn't working out as hoped.

Of course, I couldn't resist taking a picture of Soren while we were there. Logan and Stephanie each took a turn watching him for me.

Now back to editing - its good to post on the blog as it helps me see what is looking to dark or could be cropped better.

Comments

I just love Soren's hat! The pictures look good! You sure have a talent!
Jessica Marie said…
Nice job! You have talent!
Unknown said…
I love the photography stuff too! Fingers crossed I'll be able to get a new camera when I'm back in the States this summer (the tech stuff is so much cheaper!). Keep the pics comin' ... you have a great eye!
Salina said…
You should definitely pick up and shoot more often...what a cutie! (both of them!!)
I've never thought of "children's" photography to be in line with photojournalism...but that's exactly what it is!
The Clifts said…
Cute. Thanks for the tips. I really need to work on getting more candid shots of my kids. Logan looks so much like his older brothers all combined.
Lisa Brown said…
So cute! And i totally know what you mean - the spontinaety of taking pictures of that age is awesome - I love it! It is only hard if you want a family to be in the picture with the toddler - he he!
Bree said…
Great job, Meliss! I bet that was fun for you!! And oh the memories of you working for the scroll! haha!! It sure paid off a couple times when I got to be in some of your pictures!! :)
P.S. Avri has been calling her baby doll "Baby Soren" ALL day long!! Cute huh! Just don't be offended that her baby doll is a girl! ;)

Most Read