The dads in my life
First, there is my Dad! He is pretty great. I've learned a lot from him and still really enjoy spending time with him. When I was five he started taking me camping and hiking. He taught me the names of flowers, trees, animals, birds and different mountain peaks when we were on the trail. Its probably because of him that I like nature so much - although even he couldn't get me so into camping that I could look past outhouses or just not restrooms. However, I can still recognize Indian Paintbrush and know the difference between fir and hemlock trees.
He also shared a lot of his favorite things with me - like photography. Somewhere there is a picture of me holding his SLR camera when I am a little older than Lucas. I've always enjoyed our own photosafari's. We've visited the tulip fields in Skagit Valley, Wash., staked out sunsets from Queen Anne Hill, photographed lots of waterfalls and mountain peaks, and my two favorite - hunted down old medieval villages in Italy, and photographed old barns and bison in Teton National park.
Grandpa Cleaver, me, Grandma Cleaver and my cousin Rachelle, who all
attended my high school performance of "Anything Goes."
This is my Dad's dad - Grandpa Cleaver. I grew up down the street from his house and have many happy memories playing around while he worked in his garden or shop. For some reason, he was too scary to play to close around, but my cousin Suzanne and I loved to watch what he did - mow the lawn, work in the garden, fix trucks and construction equipment in his shop. Our favorite was to help me him feed the cows.
Then we got older, I realized he wasn't so scary after all. One of my favorite memories is of him helping me feed my llamas. It was cold and I had forgotten a jacket (which was pretty typical for me. I was probably wearing sandals, too). He took the warm coat off his back and insisted I wear it. The way he offered it was so gentlemen-like and sweet that I was really touched.
My last memory of him is from the year he died. I visited with him at my Grandma Cleaver's funeral. He had Alzheimers and couldn't remember my name - or even that I was his granddaughter. He asked my cousin "And who's this pretty little lady?" with his kind smile and twinkling eyes.
My Grandpa Wright holding me as a baby.
I have been blessed to grow up by both of my grandpas. This is my Grandpa Wright, my Mom's dad and my only living grandparent. He has always made me feel loved and safe.
When I was little, he would rock me and my brother and sister on his big, comfy recliner. We'd always try to steal his spot whenever he got up and he would always let us, turning it into a big game. Another fun game was to spy on him napping in the chair. He would snore louder than anyone I had ever heard. We would tiptoe to the corner of the room and giggle, he would wake up and pretend to snore even louder. It was the funnest game.
Then when I was older, he would sit in his chair and listen to me practice the piano. I usually hit a lot of wrong notes, but he still listens and encourages me.
I also loved to climb his fruit trees and play in his yard while he worked mowing the lawn or pruning bushes. He and my grandma would take us down to the beach by their house and show us all the starfish.
He has attended many of my high school concerts, plays and all my graduations. And he was able to seal me to my husband in the Seattle Temple.
Scott holding baby Soren at Soren's first Independence Day parade.
The other important dad in my life is the father of my children. Scott is a great, patient father and I think Soren and Lucas are pretty lucky. My favorite is to watch how they both respond when Scott pulls out his guitar to play and sing to them. They love it! And any chance they get to touch a guitar when he's not around, they will take.
Scott is always kind and sensitive to his sons needs. They love to play with him, and Soren loves to watch guy-shows with him - like Top Gear and old school Transformers cartoons. Scott has taught Soren all the super hero theme songs, which Soren sings all the time. And whenever he comes home, Lucas says "Dadadadadadada" over and over again for 5 minutes with a big grin on his face. We sure love him.
My father-in-law Steve, Scott and baby Soren.
And through marriage I have another great dad in my life - my father-in-law! We lived with Scott's parents for a year after college and it was a really neat opportunity to get to know them both. I feel blessed in my in-laws. Steve is one of the kindest people who has never set any expectations or judgements on me.
One of my favorite things is when he plays the piano for Terry and I to sing along. He is also a great person to recommend and watch good shows with - and the critical third person for making excellent strawberry shortcake (Terry bakes the cake, I whip the cream, Steve cuts the strawberries and is the official taste-tester, then we all watch American Idol). I've even learned a thing or two about golf from him.




Comments
Love ya!
Dad