My own little pity party

Yesterday, I had an appointment with my midwife. It was also my glucose screening test. Well, the good news is that I past the glucose screening. The bad news is that I've already gained the 30 lbs they recommend... and I still have 3 months left.

I've gone from feeling like an awesome, energetic pregnant woman who doesn't mind her growing belly to completelly discouraged, tired and fat. There is nothing more discouraging than hearing you've gained 10 lbs in a month and then knowing you have 3 more months where you have to gain more. (okay, maybe there is more discouraging news but not to me right now).

Its not like I eat junk and sit around all day. I'm sure I could eat better and move more, but I'm a pretty health-conscious eater.

So last night I sent Soren with Scott to mutual and tried to do a home work out video. I just ended up crying because I was still hungry but afraid to eat. Then I gave in and had my favorite snack - toast with bananas and peanut butter - and turned off the video to watch a movie. I ended up re-watching Ricki Lake's documentary on birthing babies (which is incredibly biased, but I like it anyway). During the end, Ricki's friend and film-maker ends up having her baby prematurely. The baby wasn't getting enough food and could have died. That at least helped me realize that its more important to have a healthy baby and pregnancy. But still....

I wish spring would come so we weren't so housebound.

Maybe this wouldn't be so discouraging, but the same thing happened with Soren and it took me forever to loose most of my baby wieght. I don't even know what the total gain was - I stopped paying attention around 45 lbs (I suspect the total was between 50-60 lbs.)

So anyway, that's whats going on here. Hope you enjoyed my pity party. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have total sympathy for you. Just keep the end in sight, a healthy baby. And I would say, eat whatever you want, but that's just me.
Sarah said…
I gained a bunch of weight with Adam, and even one of the doctors I saw told me if he were me, he wouldn't gain another pound (that didn't set well with me at all and I was mad at him the rest of my pregnancy. Good thing he didn't deliver Adam). Anyway, long and the short of it, "this too will pass." Eat when you need to, watch what you eat, but remember you're eating for your baby. Soon, you'll have your healthy baby and then you can focus on recovery and then losing the weight. You can do it! I'm working on it as are other mothers!! (By the way, I hated the Ricki Lake Doc - it WAS so biased and I had to stop watching).
Michelle said…
I have total sympathy. I gain a lot with my pregnancies too and losing baby weight is HARD WORK. I have a hard time when I hear of friends that gain "11" pounds, and I think - huh, I gained that much before my 20 week appointment. I had a doctor tell me he was sure I was having a 10 pound baby with Jack (I assume because I gained a lot of weight?) and he was only 8 pounds. I just stopped looking at the weight when I went in to the dr.s appointments with Elena so I honestly don't know how much I weighed, but I was a lot happier that way. Knowing exactly HOW MUCH you are putting on is depressing. I whole-heartedly agree. I worked out an hour a day for a month when I was pregnant with Jack and still gained as much as I did when I wasn't working out, so I just decided that it must be what my body needed to do. As long as you make healthy choices (not only brownies all day) I think you are doing good for you baby.
Deanna said…
It makes me really angry that Drs (and midwives who aren't acting like true midwives!)give you some generic weight schedule to follow. Every one is different. Maybe a woman that was already obese to start shouldn't gain that much weight. If you are hungry, PLEASE eat!
You should be getting 100 grams of protein a day. One of the best protein sources that is pretty cheap is cottage cheese. It has something like 31 grams of protein in just one cup! You said you're a pretty health conscious eater, then let that be your guide. Dr.s and midwives DON'T always know best. I know it's hard but, keep on feeling like an awesome, energetic pregnant woman because you ARE and disregard their "recommendations." Hugs!
Bree said…
Totally feel for you Mel. I gain SO much each pregnancy and this 3rd one is really packing it on. I keep trying to be positive about it and embrace my chub....but it's not working! ;) I'm so determined to lose this baby weight and stay more fit this time around--maybe we can help encourage each other and maybe make a little competition or something to motivate us. Love ya!!!
p.s. I am dying for Spring--I'm so sick of being stuck indoors too!
Michelle Claire said…
Mel, I have always been one to gain a lot of weight when pregnant. It was worse with Ashlynn... for some reason I just gained a ton. So I totally hear you. I agree with what everyone has said on here... you are doing just fine. You are not huge, you are not fat, you are pregnant!!! It's normal and healthy, and as long as you are trying to be careful about the kinds of foods you are eating, then you are doing JUST fine. Just so you know, I think you are a beautiful, amazing woman and I am so glad that you are my friend... if you want to vent, you know you can always call! :)
Kara said…
I'm glad I'm not the only one holding the occasional pity party for herself...

We'll all make it, somehow.
You're awesome-- don't forget it!
The Clifts said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Clifts said…
I thought about my post and then realized that sometimes my pregnancy brain doesn't edit things like I should. :) I hope you feel better soon!
Sis. Stokes said…
You don't have to worry. We'll do lots of fun stuff this summer to help burn some calories. I just always kept in mind that if I was hungry, so was my baby. I found some comfort in Jamba Juice (high in good calories), but it may be a little cold for that at the moment....And you look great! Seriously. Those maternity clothes I loaned you only fit me for the first half of my pregnancy, barely. Hang in their chica!

Most Read