Recommitting to my dusty, abandoned projects

I, Melissa, commit to completing my unfinished sewing projects before starting ANY MORE.

Phew, that was hard to say.

On Thursday night, I organized my little fabric stash - trying to make it all fit back into its basket instead of sprawling over the washer and dryer. I kept stumbling upon unfinished sewing projects - the oldest dating back 8 years to before I was married!

I've known I've had a little project "commitment" problem for a while, but this forced me to acknowledge it. I made a list of nine projects that have been neglected - most of which are more than half-way done. Even though they are so close to completion, for whatever silly reason they just sit there and gather dust as I move on to new projects - that also end up in the pile several months later.

My unfinished projects
(Listed oldest to most recent)

1. Dinning Place Mats (Winter 2003)
  • History: Started the placemats in a sewing class at BYU-Idaho for my future home, since at the time I was pretty sure Scott and I were going to get married soon. Somehow I got distracted and then didn't need them for my final grade. I guess we never use place mats, because we've survived this long without them.
  • Steps to finish: Cut and sew on the binding. 
2. My First Quilt (Winter 2006)
  • History: I took a beginning quilting class with a bunch of sweet, old ladies in Georgia. The teacher picked the pattern - which has never been my favorite. I missed the last couple lessons, so never finished the quilt. I think I would be more motivated if I either a.) had a girl (it is very pink) or b.)liked the design more.
  • Steps to finish: Cut and sew white  border; sandwhich with the back and batting; cut and sew on binding.
3. Nicole's headband (Winter 2007)
  • History: I started this cute headband for my sister and never finished it. I guess I just got busy/distracted. 
  • Steps to finish: Sew together all the assembled pieces
4. Soren's Alphabet Book (Summer 2009)
  • History: When Soren was a baby, we loved fabric books but they are kind of expensive, so I decided to create one of my own. I think I was a little over-ambitious and designed a 12 page book on the alphabet with hand quitling and stitching. I'm sure if I ever finish it, it will be awesome. I think right now I have all the pages cut with their letters appliqued on. 
  • Steps to finish: Create picture content for all pages; sandwhich and sew with batting, attach the book pages..figure out how to do that.
5. Coin Quilt (Fall 2009)
  • History: I collected some scraps from my Grandma Cleaver's fabric collection after she passed away. I wasn't sure how to use them, then decided it might be fun to show off some of my favorites in a coin quilt. My friend Allison over at Cluck Cluck Sew had a great tutorial that inspired me.  (This is the project I've started re-working on first)
  • Steps to finish: Sew on last border piece (did that yesterday); Cut out binding fabric (also did yesterday); Buy more batting and sandwich with back and front; quilt; sew on binding.
6. Jett's twin (as in double, but its a crib-sized) quilt (Spring 2010)
  • History: I totally made too many quilt blocks for my nephew, Jett's quilt. I layed it out last year and realized there were enough for me to make a whole separate baby quilt. So I've got all these cute quilt blocks that just need to be put together.
7. Bib w/ elephant (Summer 2010)
  • History: I started a cute bib for a friend's newborn and never finished it.  Looks like someone else will get it now.
  • To finish: Applique elephant and sew on velcro.
8. Jamie's Pillow (Feb. 2011)
  • History: I stitched a cute little saying for my friend Jamie's bday this month then let her choose if she would rather have it framed or as a pillow. She chose pillow.
  • To finish: Design pillow; pick fabric, sew it
9. "Mothers of boys..." wall hanging (Feb. 2011)
  • History: This is another stichery project I'm making for a friend. 
  • To finish: Finish hand stitching design; buy frame; mail.
And I need to finish all that quick, because I am itching to start two more projects - a snuggler for our new baby and a quilt for Soren's future big boy bed. Plus, I'm sure I'll stumble across more baby projects for the baby. Wish me luck!

Now I need a nap. That was a lot of typing.

Comments

Diana said…
Good job! I literally have a bin labeled "half finished projects"...and it's full...as in it overflows into another bin. The first step is recognition, right? Hi, my name is Diana and I am a chronic project un-finisher.
Paul and Susan said…
Good luck with your projects! Sounds like a lot of neat ones.
Katie said…
This is too funny. I just started a table runner and some place mats on Saturday. Step 1: buy fabric (check) step 2 (wash fabric) check! That's where it ended. The sad part is that I found a fabric sale at purl soho.com and I couldn't resist buying fabric so I could make a table runner for my mom too... and some panel curtains for my studio room. So... before I even really started the first project I've already committed to 2 more. I feel your pain!
Lisa Brown said…
Isn't that the story of a sewer's life? It is just so exciting to start a new project, but getting around to completing it is the hardest part.

Most Read