Soren and Rookie of the Year
Soren has a new favorite movie - the 1993 hit "Rookie of the Year."
Every Wednesday evening, Soren and I have to disappear while Scott teaches guitar lessons. Lately, I've been taking the laptop and watching Netflix shows with Soren in my room. A couple weeks ago, I couldn't handle watching "The Wiggles" or any animated show one more time. So I found something I knew he couldn't resist - a movie with a ball in it - a baseball.
It was risky, I really didn't think he would like it after the first 2 minutes. To my utter amazement, he watched all 103 minutes in complete silence.
Now, everytime we are in my room he begs to watch "basssebah."
"Rookie of the Year" is far from my favorite movie - since watching four more times. But it is still a hit for him.
Today, he found a little white ball under our entertainment center. He ran to his room for a blue, plastic bowling pin. He kept calling it a "hat" while he carried the pin in one hand and the ball in the other. Finally, I realized that he meant "Bat."
This boy is already so coordinated. He throws his little white ball up in the air and then hits it with his blue "bat". He even swings if you pitch to him. As long as you aim for the bat, he will hit it. Then he runs after it, so excited and happy to play baseball, and swings at the ball once again. All I can think of is how at six-years-old I couldn't even hit a ball off of a Tee. Someone did NOT inherit my coordination - or lack thereof.
Tonight was another guitar lesson, so of course I gave in and we watched the movie with him one more time. He held onto his little blue bat and baseball the whole time. I taught him how to say "Strike" and "Out."
Growing up, I never enjoyed sports - mainly because of my lack of coordination. But I think I'm going to get a second chance through Soren. Tonight, I'm feeling very blessed to have him as my son - and not just because he's so darn cute playing baseball.
Every Wednesday evening, Soren and I have to disappear while Scott teaches guitar lessons. Lately, I've been taking the laptop and watching Netflix shows with Soren in my room. A couple weeks ago, I couldn't handle watching "The Wiggles" or any animated show one more time. So I found something I knew he couldn't resist - a movie with a ball in it - a baseball.
It was risky, I really didn't think he would like it after the first 2 minutes. To my utter amazement, he watched all 103 minutes in complete silence.
Now, everytime we are in my room he begs to watch "basssebah."
"Rookie of the Year" is far from my favorite movie - since watching four more times. But it is still a hit for him.
Today, he found a little white ball under our entertainment center. He ran to his room for a blue, plastic bowling pin. He kept calling it a "hat" while he carried the pin in one hand and the ball in the other. Finally, I realized that he meant "Bat."
This boy is already so coordinated. He throws his little white ball up in the air and then hits it with his blue "bat". He even swings if you pitch to him. As long as you aim for the bat, he will hit it. Then he runs after it, so excited and happy to play baseball, and swings at the ball once again. All I can think of is how at six-years-old I couldn't even hit a ball off of a Tee. Someone did NOT inherit my coordination - or lack thereof.
Tonight was another guitar lesson, so of course I gave in and we watched the movie with him one more time. He held onto his little blue bat and baseball the whole time. I taught him how to say "Strike" and "Out."
Growing up, I never enjoyed sports - mainly because of my lack of coordination. But I think I'm going to get a second chance through Soren. Tonight, I'm feeling very blessed to have him as my son - and not just because he's so darn cute playing baseball.


Comments
Ask my Dad sometime about his love of baseball... he was asked to be on an Allstar team when he was younger... (I'm thinking 12ish?)