Reading: The Secret Garden

image from here


"WHEN Mary Lennox was sent to Misselthwaite Manor to live with her uncle everybody said she was the most disagreeable looking child ever seen. It was true too."

That is the first sentence to "The Secret Garden," which I started reading for the first time as an adult last night. I've always liked the story - mystery surrounding a forbidden garden, a hunchback uncle, traveling from India to Englad. What's not to like? But I love the story even more now that I am older.

I love that the reader sees Mary transform from a spoiled brat to a sweet girl. I love the setting of Mary, the neglected child, having hundreds of rooms in a derilect house and many gardens outdoors to explore by herself. I love that she as a loner learns how to bring all the other loners together.

It completely captures my imagination and I've enjoyed getting lost in the pages. I'll have to re-read "A Little Princess" next, as I'm sure it will be just as magical. Thanks to Lisa from my Savannah book club for making it be our current book.

Oh - and I also forgot about my girlhood crush on Dickons, Martha's brother, until I started re-reading.

Comments

Jessica Marie said…
Great book and movie too! :)
Lisa Brown said…
I am so happy you enjoyed it. As I was reading it with Lily, I discovered it all over again myself :).
Michelle Claire said…
Hey Mel, I'm going private with my blog. Let me know if the email that I have is the one you want me to use to invite you, okay? Thanks, Michelle

Most Read