Dorothy Cleaver, 1929-2008

My grandma passed away on Monday. She led a long and brave struggle with brain cancer. I'm torn between sorrow and joy - sorrow that I won't see her for the rest of my life; joy that she no longer suffers and has joined many loved onces who have already departed.

A four-year-old me (I think?) opening a Christmas present from my Grandma.
She made us handmade barbie clothes for several years when the granddaughters were young.


I wanted to share several favorite memories, but now that I've sat down to type they've all become shy. Let me just say that I would be thrilled if I could nurture the type of family relations she nurtured, create as much as she created, serve as she served, and be as smart with the running of my home and family.

My grandma and grandpa at their 5oth wedding anniversary.

I believe life does not end with the death of our body. I will see my Grandma again. Until then, I'll live my life to the fullest - remembering all the great things she taught me through her example.

Comments

Jessica Marie said…
You wrote such a beautiful piece on your grandmother. You look so much like her in the photo you posted. It sounds like she left a wonderful path for you to walk on. I'm sorry for yours and your family's loss.

Jessica and Kevin Jensen
Heather said…
I just head about Grandma Cleaver today... my Mom swears she told me on Monday night but I would have remembered. What a great lady! We jokingly called her "the mother of all living" due to the size of the Cleaver clan out here, but really, I think it also had an eternal component. Dorothy is the kind of lady you KNOW is going to be an eternal mother in the celestial kingdom. I'm excited that she was finally able to go home. I am, however, sorry for your loss.

Isn't it great to have the gospel perspective in situations like these?

PS: Did you also hear that LaDonna Harthun passed away on Sunday morning? Also a truly brave fight with cancer that took a celestial lady.
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. I know how that feels to go back and forth between sadness and joy after a grandparent passes away. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Bree said…
Beautifully written, Mel. There's no doubt how much you loved and admired your grandma. The pictures are great also, it's fun to see you with your grandma as a little girl! I hope you and your family will be blessed with peace and be even more sure that you will see her again and that she no longer suffers the trial of her body. We are so lucky to have an eternal perspective to help thru hard times!! Love you Melissa, let me know if I can do anything!
Lisa Brown said…
I am so sorry for your loss. What a blessing that you were able to have such a great relationship with her. I never really knew any of my grandparents, and I have always thought that I missed out on something.
Ann said…
What a beautiful picture of her when she was younger! What a striking woman. She sounds beautiful all around. What a gift.
Anonymous said…
I'm glad you could go home. I hope it goes well for you out there.

Most Read