Happy Friday - Day dream fun!
Scott and I have been day dreaming about vacations lately. Probably because we both know we won't get one for a while. But it has made me think about a few places I would love to visit.
Prince Edward Island
Don't laugh at me. I love Anne of Green Gables and would love to see where Lucy Maud Montgomery was so inspired. Remember the scene from the movie (there is probably more than one scene like this) where Anne grabs Diana's hand and they run through the tall grass towards the white sandy beaches? Well, I think that would be pretty fun to do. For me, it falls in the ranks of mimicking Ariel from 'The Little Mermaid' when she is singing "Part of your world." Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Paris
I need to go back! My first trip was great, but I didn't have enough time to see as much as I wanted. Just enough to be a tourist at obvious destinations and then jump on Le TGV for Avingnon.
Istanbul & Egypt
These are two places I'm scared to visit, but that have captured my imagination. I never thought twice about Istanbul until I read "The Historian" and a portion of the book takes place there. Same with Egypt - Amelia Peabody has had a great influence on me.
Okinawa, Japan
My good friend Jenna just moved there. It is Japan's Hawaii and sounds amazing! I'd love to go visit her and Brian sometime during their 3 year stay. Of course, a trip to visit Jenna would also include another trip with several empty suitcases to shop in Singapore.
Austria
Why Austria? Have you ever watched the 'Sound of Music'? And my good friend Matt (Or Dallas, as some of you may know him) told me all sorts of great tales from his adventures in Austria. I would love to see the Alps there.
Italy
I know I just went to Italy, but I'd love to go back and see more. It was so fun to lounge in an old, medieval villa. But even if I couldn't do that, I'd like to spend time with Scott in Rome and then head up to France stopping at Sienna, Florence, Cinque Terra, etc...
Writing this has reminded me that I used to listen to Rick Steves' Travel Podcast when I'd go for my walks in California. Maybe I need to pick that little habit up again, since he always has fun little travel facts. He makes you want to visit places I've never thought twice about. And speaking of places I forget to think about... I'm sure I could make my own wish list for travling in the Unites States. I'll have to make that a separate post another time.


Comments
And I totally used to re-enact the Ariel scene in the pool as a little girl.
No wonder we're friends!
This would be the perfect year to visit Prince Edward Island on an Anne pilgrimage because it's the 100th anniversary of the publication of Anne of Green Gables so there's lots of celebrations going on. www.anne2008.com will give you good idea of some the things going on. My wife and I run a bed & breakfast just a few minutes from the Lower Bedeque Schoolhouse, which is the last school Lucy Maud taught in before leaving the Island. No matter where you are on the Island you're never very far from something to do with Anne or LMM. Hope you make it here someday....it's a magical place.