Weekend in Poulsbo

I was able to be with my family this weekend for two wedding receptions and a funeral. Sounds like a movie, doesn't it?

We packed a lot into three days - all leading up to my grandma's funeral on Monday afternoon. The family had planned a reception in the cultural hall behind the chapel for after the service. We wanted a chance to share all that my grandma had created and accomplished. I also felt it was an opportunity to celebrate her life and visit with others who loved her like we did. Here are a bunch of pictures:
This is how it all started - first task was to style our old Barbies' hair. Very tough job, Nicole really had to cut through a lot of tangles.

Here we are my brother, sister and dad taking a breather after helping arrange for the reception. Notice, you can see my mom still working hard in the background on the genealogy display.


And this picture is not in order, but since I just mentioned the genealogy display, I wanted to show the end product. The signs say that my grandma became interested in family history as a teenager and through her life traced her roots. These charts show from my dad and his siblings back to 50 a.d.

Here is another view of the finished room. She made quilts for all 21 grandchildren and many more. We hung them on the walls and displayed them on tables. These tables also feature all the little crafts she made as gifts, including Barbie doll furniture, Barbie doll clothes, Christmas decorations, hot pan holders, aprons, etc...

This is a close up of the quilt she made for me. We all got to pick our colors - so I chose pink! My sister chose red and my brothers is brown with appliqued leaves, which is very cool!.

Here is a kitchen she made for Nicole and the dress was given to me. The picture is her as a child.

And if you look closely at the picture in this picture, you'll notice a little Melissa wearing this same sweater! We did a lot of digging to find it, but we still had it! Grandma made sweaters for a bunch of us one Christmas. Hot pink with a unicorn - what little girl wouldn't love that?

We also dispersed several of the books we made for her two Christmases ago around the room. They are a collection of letters from all her children and grandchildren to my grandma with family photos.

Here I am with my cousin Andrea, taking another breather. It was so fun to visit with her and my other cousins. I only wish I had more time.

My grandma asked to have a quilt on her casket, rather than flowers. So my cousin Rachel made the above beauty especially for her funeral. It is gorgeous!

This is Nicole, Suzanne, me and Stacey at the cemetery. Once upon a time, I was taller than Suzanne - and I had longer hair.



And here is the last picture on my camera. This is me, Emily, Rachelle and Stacey after cleaning up from the reception. Work is fun when you are with family you don't see very often.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Your hair looks fantastic! And those quilts are amazing. And I am totally jealous or your pink sweater with a unicorn on it.
Bree said…
Melissa, I'm so glad you could go home and be with your family for the funeral! What a great idea to have a reception and display things that were important to your grandma. Fun to see pics of you and your fam--they are awesome!
Im so glad we were able to give those barbies a makeover! Im glad you took pictures of everything. Ill have to steal these!
Mindy said…
She must have been a phenomenal woman! The reception looks like it was a beautiful portrayal of her life :)

Most Read