Recovering from Film Fest/ Trip to Charleston

It's easier to remember why I like Savannah when the heat and humidity disappear. These last couple weeks have been perfect. I couldn't resist lounging on my cheesy deck (or as Scott calls it, the lean-to behind our apartment) with Leo and write in my journal last Sunday. Lean-to or not, it has a beautiful view over chimney tops and into Forsyth Park.

So this last Friday we went to Charleston for the day. Loved it! Beautiful drive, beautiful old houses, beautiful food food and more food. I don't have pictures of it, but we ate at the best, seemingly-hole-in-the- wall place called Jestine's Cafe. For the first time, I experienced REAL southern hospitality and the best food. Our server brought me a second bowl of macaroni and cheese, on the house, after he saw how quickly I downed my first.

We also wandered through the old market and did some significant shopping on King Street - specifically in Urban Outfitters (which used to be a regular stop when we lived in San Fran). After all that, we started taking pictures:

This is me in a church cemetery that we stumbled upon. Call me crazy - but I love visiting these places to read they old family names, dates, and epitaphs. Anyone else?

Later we walked on the water front, through the French Quarter, past Rainbow Row and down to Battery Park - all while the sunset. The light was beautiful.

And of course, next time I'll hire a photographer to follow us around so we can get some pictures together. Imagine that - pictures with both of us in them, as opposed to another one of these:


Overall, I highly recommend a visit to Charleston when you're in the South. I'd like to go back soon and explore some of the nearby plantations.

Comments

Heather said…
My husband is from Boston, and whenever we go to visit his folks I love to walk around and read all the old tombstones in the cemeteries. Headstones with dates back to colonial times -- or ones with gunshots carved into them from angry British soldier during the Revolutionary War -- it's so cool! Maybe it's because we are from Washington that we like those things so much. In Washington things are fairly new compared to back east. I think that that is a lot of why I appreciate the old so much more.
Anonymous said…
I wanna go to Charleston.
heidi said…
i love old cemetaries! that was my favorite thing in charleston! i think the pictures from our trip two weeks ago are nearly identical to yours!
Bree said…
These pictures are awesome (surprise surprise..hahaha)I loved the ones on Facebook too. Charleston is gorgeous! And it looks like you took pictures at the most perfect time of day! Oh man, I have got to come visit you and see all these cool places!!
Jessica Marie said…
Looks like you two had a wonderful time! Beautiful pictures!

Most Read