Idaho Confessions
Kiteboarding at Mud Lake
Recently, we've gone on a couple outings that have cracked my resolve to dislike Idaho. Yesterday was the most recent adventure. For the first time in almost 2 years, Scott is able to kiteboard on water again. Its not the ocean, but Mud Lake does the job. Despite the name, it is a beautiful place in the middle of no where.
That is how it rolls here in eastern Idaho - most places worth seeing take dedication and effort to get to. They also have some of the ugliest names - Mud Lake, Rexburg, etc...But with a little driving, you stumble upon some of God's most beautiful creations - placed in between tumbleweed and sand dunes.
Its no secret that Idaho isn't my fave. I decided that my freshman year in college at BYU-Idaho. For this pacific coast girl, leaving behind my Olympic Mountains and Evergreens for desert and snow was pretty rough. I've always held it against Rexburg that it isn't my pacific northwest, or San Francisco, or Savannah.
But I'm starting to crack... I still hate the snow and winters, but when it all thaws there is something amazing about this place.
I've never approached Rexburg from the west before, which is the route from Mud Lake. As a result, I've missed the amazing view of my town on a hill in front of thee Big Hole Mountains and the Teton Mountains. I just stared and stared. Have I really lived in such a beautiful place for almost 2 years (5 years for college) and never realized it?
Then last weekend, my family and our friends Will, Jamie and Ellie, drove through Swan Valley to Palisades Reservoir. I wish I had more pictures to do it justice, but the whole drive is soothing to my soul. Its in the middle of no where, yet I found myself dreaming up ways to live on a farm next to the river. Forget boutique shopping and art galleries, give me a horse and my own plot of land on this scenic feast.
Jamie and I doing our best to make the kids take a good picture. Then Scott and I trying for a family picture.
.
A true city girl would even dream about how to spend more time here - the green valley and mountains are truly seductive.
The point of our drive was to hike somewhere - we didn't know where, but we knew there had to be something. After lunch at the only restaurant for miles, we hiked up to Falls Fall. It was a REALLY short hike - I shouldn't even use the word hike. We parked on the rode and walked 10 steps along a dirt trail to the edge of a cliff.
I fought off panic attacks watching Soren on Scott's shoulders. Leo bore the brunt of my fears every time he jerked me too close to the edge. Its funny, I went to this falls in college - before I had kids - and the height didn't phase me. Oh boy, now I am too aware of how close that little trail is the drop off and rocks below.
After our "hike" we drove up to Pallisades Dam and played along the river. We drove around a little longer and finally found a real trail to hike next time. Now we just need to plan another trip back out there.
Whenever I get out of town, I fall in love with this region. Its not my wish to stay here forever, but these new insights have made me more grateful to be here. I'm always looking for ways to enjoy and appreciate my life as it happens, rather than spending too much time dreaming about the past or the future. All the majestic scenery and sharing it with my favorite boys has been great.
Now, if only I can convice Rexburg to have a better name - something a little more romantic or scenic sounding.







Comments
PS. If I make it to Idaho Falls to visit my sister this summer, would you want to come to town and meet me for lunch?