Book Reviews
Today wasn't the best - tomorrow will be better, right? And I'm sure there were lots of people out there who had worse days.
Hear my whine - woke up with a soar throat. Soren must have too, because he wasn't very fun** day (***fun is an understatement.)Had no energy to do the stuff I was supposed to do, but had a great time finishing a book during Soren's nap.
It only takes so many tantrums to put me in a bad mood... which I can't shake off so I guess I need to sleep it off. A smoothie from Jamba Juice did help - and so does a loving husband.
Anyway, here are a few book reviews from this last month:
The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This might not be the best book ever, but it completely captured my imagination and I enjoyed it immensely. I loved the world that Madeline L'Engle created in "A Wrinkle of Time" and C.S. Lewis in "The Chronicles of Narnia." While this story isn't as deep, Neff's new world is intriguing. During a visit to the Art Institute, Max experiences a strange vision about a Celtic Tapestry. Afterward, he finds an invitation in his back pocket to attend an exclusive private school - Rowan Academy. Unknown danger from an unknown enemy finds him first...There are Harry Potter similarities - don't let them get to you. I like to think they aren't on purpose and the story is still different - we'll see if that holds for the rest of the series. I just got the sequel from the library...
View all my reviews >>
Vienna Prelude by Bodie Thoene
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
A story about the fall of Austria and rise of Hitler in the beginning of WWII, told through violinist Elisa Lindheim's experience. Elisa, a Jew from Berlin, is known on official documents as Elisa Linder a violinist in Vienna. As Hitler's plot to invade Austria threatens, Elisa finds herself involved in smuggling Jewish children out of Germany.
One thing I appreciated about this book is the historical accuracy. Bodie Thoene wrote it with her husband, who is a historian. It is the first of the Zion Covenant series - all about Hitler's take-over until Britain finally stands up to Germany. The author isn't shoving history down the reader, but instead letting them be captured by how history affects her beloved characters.
View all my reviews >>
Prague Counterpoint by Bodie Thoene
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Second in the Zion Covenant series, the story picks up the day after our main characters escape for fallen Austria. Once again, I enjoy how Bodie let's her characters experience tell the history instead of forcing it down her readers throats. At the end, I was a little disappointed that we don't know what happened to the twins or Otto. It also left me feeling a little depressed that I"m sucked into a series where there might be a lot of loose ends left hanging. Although, a friend assures me that their won't be.
View all my reviews >>
Hear my whine - woke up with a soar throat. Soren must have too, because he wasn't very fun** day (***fun is an understatement.)Had no energy to do the stuff I was supposed to do, but had a great time finishing a book during Soren's nap.
It only takes so many tantrums to put me in a bad mood... which I can't shake off so I guess I need to sleep it off. A smoothie from Jamba Juice did help - and so does a loving husband.
Anyway, here are a few book reviews from this last month:
The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. NeffMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
This might not be the best book ever, but it completely captured my imagination and I enjoyed it immensely. I loved the world that Madeline L'Engle created in "A Wrinkle of Time" and C.S. Lewis in "The Chronicles of Narnia." While this story isn't as deep, Neff's new world is intriguing. During a visit to the Art Institute, Max experiences a strange vision about a Celtic Tapestry. Afterward, he finds an invitation in his back pocket to attend an exclusive private school - Rowan Academy. Unknown danger from an unknown enemy finds him first...There are Harry Potter similarities - don't let them get to you. I like to think they aren't on purpose and the story is still different - we'll see if that holds for the rest of the series. I just got the sequel from the library...
View all my reviews >>
Vienna Prelude by Bodie ThoeneMy rating: 4 of 5 stars
A story about the fall of Austria and rise of Hitler in the beginning of WWII, told through violinist Elisa Lindheim's experience. Elisa, a Jew from Berlin, is known on official documents as Elisa Linder a violinist in Vienna. As Hitler's plot to invade Austria threatens, Elisa finds herself involved in smuggling Jewish children out of Germany.
One thing I appreciated about this book is the historical accuracy. Bodie Thoene wrote it with her husband, who is a historian. It is the first of the Zion Covenant series - all about Hitler's take-over until Britain finally stands up to Germany. The author isn't shoving history down the reader, but instead letting them be captured by how history affects her beloved characters.
View all my reviews >>
Prague Counterpoint by Bodie ThoeneMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
Second in the Zion Covenant series, the story picks up the day after our main characters escape for fallen Austria. Once again, I enjoy how Bodie let's her characters experience tell the history instead of forcing it down her readers throats. At the end, I was a little disappointed that we don't know what happened to the twins or Otto. It also left me feeling a little depressed that I"m sucked into a series where there might be a lot of loose ends left hanging. Although, a friend assures me that their won't be.
View all my reviews >>

Comments