Embarking on my gardening adventure..
image from here.When I was a teenager, I swore that I would never NEVER have my own garden. I remember standing in the middle of our garden and spitting that out, because I was so annoyed that I actually had to WEED. I'm sure my parents still remember.
Oh I hated working in our garden! I hated finding nasty bugs in the dirt. I hated getting splinters in my fingers. I hated cleaning dirt out of my finger nails. I hated my back aching for bending over. I hated my dirty knees. Geez, I should just stop right there...
Especially because I am planning my very own garden this summer. (If I didn't just talk myself out of it). Last week, I went to the Home and Family Conference at BYU-Idaho. One of the classes was on growing herbs indoors. I killed my basil this winter, something I've been really sad about every time I make pizza or a pasta dish now. I thought the class would give me some good tips. I wasn't disappointed - they even gave me confidence to venture out of my little indoor herbs and container plants. Maybe I'm being too adventurous, but I'm planning it all - corn, tomatoes, carrots, green beans, cucumbers, peas, zucchini, etc..
My house resembles a green house now. There are containers and cups of dirt in every window. I got a little carried away with my seeds. For example, one zucchini plant would suffice for my little family (especially since I'm the only one who likes it), but I planted about 12 seeds. I also planted about 10 cherry tomato plants.
Its not that I want a ton of either vegetable, but I figured the more I start with, the more chances I'll have to keep at least ONE of the plants alive.
So my very own gardening adventure begins. Hopefully I'll enjoy my own garden more than I did my parents. I figure being a mature grown up, rather than a snotty teenage girl, will make a big difference.
Anyone else growing their first garden? Here is a link to the top gardening web sites on the internet for anyone else who needs all the help they can get.

Comments
Good luck! I've been really surprised how easy it is to (successfully!) grow tomatoes and herbs especially ... and that's growing them in my teeny tiny apartment window sills! If I can do it, you certainly can!