Yellowstone


4:30 a.m., Sunday, Aug. 2, Rexburg

I wake up to the sound of Leo's toenails clicking on the hardwood by the front door, whining to be let out. This is Scott's job - the baby is my job. But I know Scott has to leave a little after 5 a.m. for Yellowstone, so I decide to get up and let Leo out. Then I notice Scott isn't even in bed.

I let Leo out and peak on the baby - Scott is in Soren's room working on the computer. He is still awake! And not only that, but this is his second night working on this project. He has now gone almost 48 hours without sleep and needs to hop in the car and drive 2 hours to Yellowstone in less than 30 minutes to teach photography workshops for the next week.

This is how my Sunday began. I was faced with the choice: Gamble my husbands life for more sleep, or packup the baby in 2 minutes and drive the boys to Yellowstone.

Scott, Soren and I at the Old Faithful Lodge, where Soren and I spent a lot of time on Sunday and Monday.

I like Scott too much and I don't want to be a widow at 26, so we drove.

What an awesome decision! Besides keeping my husband alive and safe, I have never witnessed such beauty as I saw driving towards Yellowstone during a sun rise. I will wake up at 4:30 a.m. any day to see that again.

However, let me mention that I am not good at packing on 4 hours of sleep. I brought one shirt - the ugliest one I own. For your viewing pleasure, I've even posted pictures with me in it. It is an XXL, bright-red t-shirt from my working days that says "Keys Hall Rocks" in big white letters. Scott makes fun of me every time I wear it. Lucky me - the one shirt I grab. I wore it meeting all sorts of nice people and lets hope they just focused on the cute baby. (we also forgot his socks. Thank goodness the Old Faithful gift shops have cute baby moose socks).

Soren and I had a great time Sunday and Monday. Before driving home Monday afternoon, we walked the big loop that is stroller accessible around Old Faithful. It was fun to see so many geysers and bacteria pads. Most of all, I just love being in mountains. I heart mountains. They make me happy.

Scott had to work his other job on Tuesday. Then he turned around and went back to Yellowstone until Sunday. I was more than happy - ecstatic! - to have him home. Soren teethed all weekend and I was going crazy. He now has both of his front teeth. That's Soren - growing them both at the same time.

And the adventure continues. Scott will fly to Maine on Monday to teach more workshops. Only this time, I am going to visit his family in California for 2 weeks. If you are in California, we should visit.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You're a good wifie.

I don't think I can get on the webcam this week. :( My sister is in town and it's been crazy already. When do you get back from CA?
What a fun little trip you got to take on such short notice. Im sure Scott enjoyed haveing you too there. Soren is SO big!!! ;)
I also forgot to mention that Scott's photo is very awesome!
Deanna said…
You could pull any shirt off Melissa, you are beautiful! I bet it was an amazing drive at sunrise. I am missing the mountains again already. I wish Savannah had mountains!
Paul and Susan said…
Nicely told story with accompanying pictures.
Heather said…
I think its normal to get them at the same time. At least on the front ones. That looks like you had fun. Are you driving or flying to Cali?
Natalie said…
That picture Scott took is beautiful. I am amazed you were able to pack so quickly, very impressive. You still look adorable, even if you're in your least favorite shirt.

Visiting Scott's family in California?!? That means me! I can't wait to see you and hopefully Soren too!
Heather said…
I'm sure Soren will be fine. We've flown with Isaac multiple times and he usually gets scared at take-off and then sleeps the whole way because he cuddles into Mommy or Daddy so he's not so scared!
Lisa Brown said…
I am still laughing about your shirt :). Isn't it funny the things we do when we are sleep deprived? And how awesome that you got to go with him. I still can't believe I have never been to Yellostone.

Most Read